Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy gave me a 2003 Arctic cat 400 auto 4 X 4. After Lots of research and time it came down to a bad
Stator and Flywheel caused by Magnets coming unglued. of course trying to save a buck on the stator I ended up doing it twice. i purchased the parts from RM Stator. They walked me through the process along with the you tube videos available. The ATV has 1800 miles on it so it was worth the investment in my opinion. my point is for any of you that want to do it in my opinion it was not that difficult.
The issue was finding out what was wrong, making phone calls etc. what I ended figuring out was i was getting intermittent spark which if your not paying close attention to can get buy you and steer you into carb rebuilding which obviously is not the issue. The hang up for me was the question "But it only has 1800 miles on it ? " I had a hard time getting past that thought.

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I've read so many posts about the dreaded 400 magnet issue. The more I think about it the more I wonder if anything contributes to the magnets coming off. Is it type of oil used? Is it maybe it has been overheated or ridden in such a way the fan is on quite often. I have a 2003 400 FIS auto I bought new. It has only 3400 miles on it and so far, it has not had any issue that I have read about. However, It did wear out the exhaust rocker quite bad and did enough damage to intake rocker and camshaft. I bought all three parts new at a Suzuki dealer.
Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
660 catman. this is all new to me. I had a new Polaris sportsman I should have kept. anyways other then the Stator issue it seems to be in good shape. I doubt this was ridden hard. as for the magnets the same thing happened to my out board motor. magnets fell off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
tim72 - What were your symptoms?
I am having a really hard time pinpointing my problem on my 250 2x4 and I am about to push it off a cliff.
Ive rebuilt and recleaned my carb too many times.
Was planning to start a thread with my exact situation but maybe its my stator

·
Administrator
37,299 Posts
Better to start your own thread so as to not hijack the OP thread.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sorry, didn't feel like that was a hijack.
More or less sounds like he basically fixed his issue and I was curious what the symptoms were in case that is what was wring with mine or if anyone else was having same issues.
My apologies

1 - 6 of 6 Posts