Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new set of pads on the rear foot brake of my 2003 arctic cat 400fis. The foot brake is cable operatedand seems to nbe adjusted correctly. However, the brake simply sucks! Barely slows it down. Is there a trick to properly adjusting this brake?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
after putting on new pads you will need to re-bleed your rear break system. Also i believe there is a mod to add another caliper to the rear break to make breaking that much better. I am not sure but being that it is a 2003 does the hand break still operate all 4?

I know when i use my foot break on my 06 the ass end of the bike gets all squirly. I have never been in a situation where the foot break was required over the hand break, that breaked all 4 wheels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The foot brake on my unit is cable operated, separate from the hydralic system. I have other issues with the hydralic system, so I opted for new pads for the foot brake as a quick fix.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd be interested to solve this also. No matter what i do, my foot brake has always sucked. Seems that there is not enough leverage at the caliper to effectively clamp the rotor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (straight6jeff @ Dec 23 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd be interested to solve this also. No matter what i do, my foot brake has always sucked. Seems that there is not enough leverage at the caliper to effectively clamp the rotor.[/b]
Thats exactly what I was thinking. Maybe tightening it more??

·
Registered
504 Posts
The solution to your rear brake problem is to throw it in the garbage. I have broke 2 calipers, and the pads just wear down to nothing without really even using it. It's of no use except for a paper weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine has never really worked either. It does "try" to work, but I have to apply a lot of pressure to the foot lever for it to even begin to work. There was a good bit of slack in the linkage. I adjusted the tensioner next to the caliper and got out nearly all of the slack. That gave me more leverage at the foot lever. It did help quite a bit, but the break still doesn't work as good as it should, in my honest opinion. I'm wondering why they didn't make the rear brake hydraulic. My front breaks (hydraulic) work flawlessly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts