Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

2003 artic cat 400 has gas,spark and compression. Wont start.

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  660catman 
#1 ·
So it has fresh gas, new plug with spark,rebuilt carburetor, good compression. What am I missing, it won't start with a shot of starter fluid. The choke lever on the handlebar broke but I can still pull on the wire to utilize it. Any suggestions??

#2 ·
Do a leak down test.
could be a bad timing chain,worn cam lobes etc.

#4 ·
The hand screw cable on the carb that positions the throttle butterfly, run it in all the way and back off 2 turns. Give it a little gas when attempting to start. Worked on 2 of the bikes I have. Back off on the screw until desired idle
Everything points to no fuel getting to combustion chamber. Even if it’s bad fuel or bad air/fuel ratio it should still explode inside there if you’ve got compression and spark.
Well, I say that technically speaking..if your spark plug is fouled up, it may affect combustion. So check make sure spark plug end is dry

#6 ·
The hand screw cable on the carb that positions the throttle butterfly, run it in all the way and back off 2 turns. Give it a little gas when attempting to start. Worked on 2 of the bikes I have. Back off on the screw until desired idle
Everything points to no fuel getting to combustion chamber. Even if it’s bad fuel or bad air/fuel ratio it should still explode inside there if you’ve got compression and spark.
Well, I say that technically speaking..if your spark plug is fouled up, it may affect combustion. So check make sure spark plug end is dry
I tried that it didn't work. Plug is not soake. I will add the wheeler sat for about 8 months.

#7 ·
Did you clean carb after it sat?

If plug isn't wet I would be checking timing on the valves. Pull the plug, recoil basket fuel tank valve covers, gently put a long screwdriver down plug hole and roll engine over by hand watching the valves moving,

#10 ·
Do you know the story on why it sat for so long? Check fuel valve to make sure it flows in the ON and RES positions. If you take carb off, is there fuel in the bowl? If there’s fuel make sure your float is set to spec. If all the above is true, then timing may be out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.