Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, first post here! I've been looking around these forums for the past month or so, but I finally found something I think I need to start my own thread about.

I found a running 2001 500 for sale nearby. It seems in good shape, but I'm pretty sure that year is full time 4x4. I would want to make it selectable 4wd because I like to slide around when I don't need the 4wd. I have a 2003 parts bike. Will the front diff from the 2003 bolt into the 2001 chassis and work as long as they are the same drive ratio? I thought I found a thread that said an 03 or 04 500 front diff will work in an 02 500 chassis, but I can't find it again, and I haven't found anything for the 01. As far as I've read, the 01 and 03 have essentially the same Vinson 500 based engine with one being slightly detuned, so the prop shaft and all should be the same if they are both manual shift, correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So update, the 2001 is an automatic, and it has selectable 4wd. The guy says it makes a grinding sound trying to go into 4wd, which sounds like the front diff is either low on fluid or going out. So I guess the question changes to if the diff is bad, will the diff from the 03 manual shift work with the 01 automatic?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts