Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help with my newly acquired 03 500 4x4 auto. I'm look to wake this thing up a bit. I mostly ride trails, and mudd so a snorkel kit is definitely a must, but I want more power and torque. Where do I start?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
Clutching is the best bang for your buck.
Dynojet carb kit
Do the muffler mod

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
where do you ride? muffler mod might be illegal.

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
Why would the muffler mod be illegal?

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Some north eastern states in the US its illegal to have a modified muffler. The game police will check you with a sound meter. Also, snorkels are illegal as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Some north eastern states in the US its illegal to have a modified muffler. The game police will check you with a sound meter. Also, snorkels are illegal as well.

Maine for example...
ATV noise and fire control devices.*The following provisions pertain to ATV muffling and fire control devices and noise level limits.
A.*Except as provided in section 13159, a person may not:
(1)*Operate an ATV that is not equipped at all times with an effective and suitable muffling device on its engine to effectively deaden or muffle the noise of the exhaust;
(2)*Operate or modify an ATV with an exhaust system that has been modified in any manner that will increase the noise emitted above the following emission standard:
(a)*Each ATV must meet noise emission standards of the United States Environmental Protection Agency and in no case exceed 96 decibels of sound pressure when measured from a distance of 20 inches using test procedures established by the commissioner; or
(3)*Operate an ATV without a working spark arrester.
B.*In addition to any penalties imposed under this subsection, the court may, subject to section 9321 and Title 17-A, chapter 54, order restitution for fire suppression costs incurred by state or municipal government entities in suppressing a fire caused by an ATV operating without a working spark arrester.
26. Prohibited equipment.*A person may not operate an ATV that is equipped with a snorkel kit or other equipment designed to allow the ATV to be used in deep water except with the permission of the owner of the land on which the ATV is operated or as provided in section 13159.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I would get them machined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Machined how? Who do I see to have this done? I assume it's like swapping out to a lighter flywheel in a car? It has less rotational mass so it frees up horespower?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
But I will warn you, if you choose to mail him your clutches, be prepared to wait about a month for them to return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
35,442 Posts
You can also add a shim and lighten your rollers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
doorfx
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing