Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been dealing with a non-starting ATV for weeks now. I have switched out the cdi with no effect, switched the plug and boot, checked the fuses, and inspected much of the wiring. Today I measured VDC at the primary side of the ignition coil, and got 130v WITHOUT depressing starter button. Specs say this should be 31v. With started activated, that actually dropped to around 110v.

I know the magnets go on these, but would that lead to this? I'm stumped. Someone out there knows...

·
Administrator
38,917 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay...so

Everybody must agree that the flywheel magnets are the next thing to check. I don't need the flywheel puller just to check them, right? Do I need to drain the oil before removing the stator cover?

thanks!

·
Administrator
38,917 Posts
Reactions: yodel3

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just can't be easy

First of all, I appreciate your help with this. For those of us who aren't mechanics and don't have a lot of money, these issues can be overwhelming and I would be lost without the help I have received on this site.

You guys were absolutely right about the flywheel magnets. I opened everything up and there they were, busted into pieces and clinging to every part of the crankcase gears etc.

So I bought a flywheel and the puller. I removed the big nut that holds the flywheel on the shaft, and the smaller hex bolts that connect the flywheel to the big gear behind it.

Then I protected the end of the shaft and cranked on that thing with the puller and absolutely cannot get the flywheel off. I have been staring at it for two hours, and I'm completely baffled. There is no reason for that thing to not come off. Whats the deal?

I have tried tapping on the end of the puller bolt etc, but no luck. Is there a trick? Should I heat the old flywheel?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts