Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2002 zr800 (carb model) three years ago. When purchased, the sled had around 5000 miles on it, since the purchase, I have put on approximately 1,500 more miles. The sled has ran well until recently (last 50 miles or so). Upon take off, the sled feels as if it is slightly chugging. The sled still has power and once through the sluggish period (5000+ rpms) it runs strong however there is a noticeable "ticking" sound. To my knowledge, the sled has never had a new top end, so that is where I'm going to start. Curious if anyone has thoughts on what may be causing the sluggishness at takeoff or what the "tick" sound is at medium rpm's. I don't recall hearing the tick noise prior to 5000 rpms, but it may be there as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Liebeler

·
Registered
137 Posts
Compression check, read your spark plugs. Light tan insulator. Lot of people do the top end as preventive maintainence other wait tip the blow. Have no clue on ticking noise

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've never heard ticking on a two stroke. I've heard clutches tick before due to broken or wore out springs primary and secondary,that would make sense due to the lack of performance up to 5000 rpm. The clutch rollers and ramps wear and stick which could cause a ticking noise. Jack up the rear or the sled,lift the hood and clutch guard. I'd wear safety glasses just in case. Start the engine and engage the clutches or rev it to that 5000 rpm area and watch the engagement and open and closing of the clutches while listening for the clicking noise. While you have the guard up after you shut the sled off do an inspection of the spring,ramps,rollers and weights to make sure nothing is broken or worn out. Check for excessive belt fry or belt dust on the under side of the clutch guard and on the clutch itself,make sure that the belt is sitting about 1/8 of an inch above the outside of the secondary clutch sheaves. All of these things should give you a good idea of where to start with repairs. Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the insight. It makes sense now that you point out the clutch. I pulled the belt the other day and no excessive wear. I will check out the rest when/if I ever get time. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts