Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just picked up a 2002 zr600 cross country edition with only 1200 easy miles! i dont think the sled has seen over 60 or 70 mph! it is like new, anyways i was wondering what you guys have been doing to get a little more power and loose some weight from these bad boys? also how do these do in deeper snow? i only had it out for one little drive and it seemed to do great! love the power of it, last sled was a 440 panther, anyways just what are some of the things that you guys are doing to them to make them all around better funner sleds? thanks

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
i have one thats got 5 k on it its all stock other than droped one tooth on top gear it does great in deep snow last year had it out in fresh 1ft of powder on top of prolly 1 foot of seasonal snow only got stuck once. i was ridin with guys that had 136 skidoos and kept right up

·
Registered
340 Posts
The best bang for the buck is a clutch kit and drop a tooth or 2 on the top gear in the chain case. Its not a great sled in deep powder, personally I don't consider 2 ft of snow deep, but that's just me. If you want a decent powder sled, put a longer track on it, at least a 136 but preferably a 144. With the amount of snow you just got out there your going to be stuck a lot with that short track.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Drop a tooth and clutch kit is really all you need. It's a great sled to ride but not the best in real deep fluffy powder, a great ditch banger though. I love mine, is only get rid of it for an 800 cce or a '10 xfire 800 HO.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I have a 98 zr600 and can say that with a 121" short lug track it absolutely sucks on deep snow. I stretched mine to 136" with a 1-3/4" lug height and now it does pretty well in deep snow. For powder riding you can't really beat getting more track in contact with the snow. For a 600 I wouldn't go more than a 144" track. For 136 the rail extensions work great, but for 144 I would probably find some 144" rails or a complete skid.

I still have stock gearing but have 8 tooth track drive sprockets which is about equivalent to dropping 2 teeth on the top chain sprocket. That really wakes the sled up at the low end. You lose top end speed but I didn't care about that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Drop a tooth and clutch kit is really all you need. It's a great sled to ride but not the best in real deep fluffy powder, a great ditch banger though. I love mine, is only get rid of it for an 800 cce or a '10 xfire 800 HO.
Yip, a great ditch banger and trail sled, I loose all the long tracks down twisty trails no matter the engine size. I would never consider taking it to the mountains, I have a long track for that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies guys, this is my first sled that i actually owned the 440 panther that i was driving around is my friends moms that i fixed up and was riding around in the big dump of snow that we got and honestly even though its just a 440 fan with a 3/4 inch lug track i only got stuck 4 times in 3 days and it was mainly because of me trying to do stuff that i knew the sled could not do haha, i mean 2 feet of snow is alot for around here now a days, im only 16 so i think this is the best sled for me on a budget, and i really got a great deal on it, and yeah i was hoping for some clutching setups because accept for maybe a can and gearing down that would be mostly be what i was after, if anyone could sujest some clutching to really wake up the sled that would be awesome! also is there any cans for this sled that wont hurt it in any way? thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine had a can on it when I bought it, I took it off an put on the original muffler. I only difference I could tell was the noise. If its a carb you will likely have to rejet, if its EFI I would not recommend it as there is no easy way to adjust the fuel mixture to compensate for the can other than the ethanol wire you can disconnect but even that may not be enough. Personally I would not waste my money if performance is what your looking for, if its noise then go for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Yeah i kinda figured that about the can, i was only wondering if the weight reductions and maybe a little bump in power would be worth it, also if anyone could tell me how muc changing gearing will affect your top speed that would be awesome, for example 1 tooth down on front is blank mph less, thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow thanks alot! That site should come in very helpful, also how much of a difference on low end will dropping a tooth give? Cause i can easily live with 4 mph less top end haha, we hardly ever have it over 70 here haha, also if i drop the 1 tooth up front, what do you think the best clutch kit will be then? Thanks also usually how much top end do you loose on a clutch kit? And one last thing, i know i can get machined sheaves for my 660 rhino that will both give it lower and taller gearin when needed, is there anything like that available for this sled? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts