Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The adjustment dial in front of the handle bars spins freely if I try to loosen it up. I just keep it tightened down. I got the sled used so I have no idea what it does in the first place. How do I repair it or if it's useless, do I cap the thing off? I imagine the lines are filled with fluid?

Any advice is appreciated.

thebillcollector

·
Registered
262 Posts
you can just have it rebuilt or if you want you can have it taken off and just have the main shock rebuilt

the purpose is quickly changing your front skid pressure for more or less ski bite

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I found them to be a waste of time and money. More trouble than their worth. I'd just rebuild the shock and not hook up the adjuster. Thats what I did. My dealer recommended this to me based on their past experiences with them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine did the same thing a year ago through the whole season, then all of a sudden it got stiff on the last ride. So I think the part that it adjusts got stuck down, and causing it to spin. I think a rebuild is in order, and I am going to have it done once I get all my parts for the 136 extension in so I can have it done at the same time.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds like the adjuster oil has by-passed the separator piston in the front skid shock.
Take the dial-adjust and the front skid shock to a competent shock service guy and have it completely service.
Be sure the the separator piston update was done on the shock. It likely has not been. AC has an updated piston but the separator piston from the older FOX unit is superior and can be source through Carvers or possibly from the dealer if you ask for the '99 SnoPro separator piston. I'd think any independant shock guy how knows his business will have access to the "good" parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so i have a simular problem, but my question is how do you take it off without loosing the fluid/air???? the steel line is ran through the tunnel. so do i have to take the entire sled in for rebuilding it or what do i do???

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
It has a quick disconnect, but the oil has gone somewhere.
Best to remove the skid, remove the shock assembly, send it in or take it to someone that says they can rebuild it. Some say they are a pain, yes, but working properly, they are nice to have. I have had 4 sleds with them on them and love to use them. I currently have one on a Mountain cat LE and have no problems. Call a shock rebuilder and see if they want to tackle it. The ones that tell you to send it in, they can update and fix it, they will be the ones to send it to. The one that says, just block it off, doesn't know how to rebuild it.

You can also send it in, and exchange it for a regular rebuilt shock for a fee. If you don't want to mess with the dial adjust, get an ACT shock for the front and sell the dialadjust setup to me Cat happy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts