Arctic Cat Forum banner

41 - 60 of 811 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I think I paid to much for it, $800 but everything on the sled is in good shape and it’s the body style I want. I wanted to go get the 800 efi but I truck wouldn’t of made the 4 1/2 hr trip from his place. I looked at this way .. track worth .. $250, hood $200 .. seat / with the wedge in it $250 clutches $200 and so on.. that’s how I can sleep tonight I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Yikes. But you're right, it's worth more than what you paid in parts. If the cylinder isn't destroyed, get it replated. Buy an spi top end set, throw it together. Have fun

Edit: Can't tell for sure from the pics but does it have a brown chrome windshield?? That is extremely rare and hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
8,261 Posts
Don’t buy a sled that old that does not run. There are millions of them around that do run for not much more money. A zr 900/800 is not a rare sled. The zr900 is an 800 with a different top end on it and an ignition box. You can make one cheap or buy a 900.

·
Registered
546 Posts
So he wanted $1800 and ended up taking $800. One question is how much dickering did you have to do to get him to come down a grand? I'm just curious if he caved right away cause he knew everything that was wrong and felt guilty or if he was really out to screw someone who wouldn't have known what to look for.
You're also right that you would be able to part it out and get your money back if you had to but it seems like you're going to fix it and hopefully it's only a top end rebuild, hopefully the jug Is good otherwise get it re-niked thru US Chrome $250ish. Either way you'll be less than a grand into the rebuild. Definitely post lost of pics of this guys work for us scrutinize! Lol
Kinda sounds like this guy was trying to pull a D-bad move on you and he failed, I'm glad he failed too!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You might be able to find a good used 900 cylinder off a parts sled. I needed a new cyl for my 800 when I went over it this summer. Bought one off of a sled getting parted out on the local online classifieds. Cheaper than replating.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I took me a long time . He didn’t think i new what he was up too. What have it away was the mag side looked like someone was trying to pry the head open with a screw driver there where marks where was pry the head open to take the peace’s of the top of the head. I found the the one inch peace missing off the piston by taking apart the apv valve and looking in there and showing him. Then it was game over for him. Sled has been for sale close too two years. On Facebook market is where his add is and you can’t see the comments people left because he set it too private. Then I just picked him apart. I always run into people like this.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The sled is still in the back of my truck. The wife is a little upset with me. So it’s going to a while before I can put it in the garage. But I was going to pull the 800 out of my 01 zr and put in there in till see how much damage is done. The 900 motor did fire up after I turn the gas shut off valve on which he nicely try to hide.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
He didn’t cave in at all. Just be I left he said he didn’t want to mess with it so it came down too$1,600 . Then I got it too start up with a lot of noise. He went back up too $1,800 . Pulled the apv off and went too $1,250 . Then he said I will just part it out then. He was crying about i paid $400 for a new seat with the wedge , then he put in a $700 track and so on and so on. I said go ahead you will never in your life time will you get what you think. And if you no all the answers you had two years to part this thing out and it’s still sitting here. Explain that too me. He got real upset with me. Then the words started fly. So you where waiting for someone to come up here who didn’t no any better and would got home to find out what you sold them. And I looked at him and said it happened to me when I bought my 97 zrt 600. Then it went too 800 take it or leave it.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
The sled is still in the back of my truck. The wife is a little upset with me. So it’s going to a while before I can put it in the garage. But I was going to pull the 800 out of my 01 zr and put in there in till see how much damage is done. The 900 motor did fire up after I turn the gas shut off valve on which he nicely try to hide.

Then you better look at the fuel pump also. That sled didn't come with a fuel valve.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I will have pics tomorrow, I am going out where my truck is too get my tool out of there and will post some pic.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hey guys sorry for rambling on. How long would it take me to pull the hole motor out tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
No longer than any other twin. Biggest pain will be draining the coolant...its messy, just like any other sled. There is a tube by the muffler with a cap on it. Just take your time and move through each section systematically. It will be out before you know it.

Another thing to look for is the air filters behind the foot wells. I find most folks forget about them and they disintegrate and get sucked into the carbs. Air filters need to be fresh and actually be filtering the air.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Ok thanks, I was just going pull the motor out on the back of my truck because if I take the sled down I can’t get it back into my pick up truck . Doing things solo.... me myself and I.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I am just going to be back home after thanksgiving and the quest leave

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I am just going to be back home after thanksgiving and the quest leave

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just reading about this guy and what was wrong, what he knew was wrong and what he was trying to do has me pretty speechless. This is the kinda jerk that really needs to take in the shorts for trying to screw someone like that! Thankfully you had some knowledge and tools in your back pocket to protect yourself. As far as swapping engines out, you COULD do that in a day but once you have that 800 out you'll really want to clean up the engine bay and check over the bulkhead and all the welds and be sure everything is in good order and nothing is overly worn or broken. It's piece of mind for me.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
There was on his sled, right behind the top of the air box

Yes, I get that from your previous comment, thus my comment. I'm saying someone added that to that sled, for who knows what reason....added security, or because they replaced the fuel pump??? The original pump for that sled had it's own shut off valve internally. If they replaced the pump, you need to verify it's correct for that sled.

41 - 60 of 811 Posts