Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddies kid just put this used engine in his sled. It ran good for about 60 miles and started spewing coolant out. It starts and seems to run okay but even idling is will shoot the antifreeze out and with a bit of force. The head gaskets look okay and didnt appear to be leaking. Any ideas? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
rent a coolant pressur tester from auto parts store.
pull spark plugs.
pull exhaust
put tester on and use.
14lbs max?
if the orings are bad it will leak into cylinders

·
Administrator
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I told him right off the bat, head gaskets. He looked at them and told me they looked good ( I didnt see them myself) . Just wondering if anything else could cause this as in a bad water pump seal? A stuck t-stat?. I asked if the temp light came on. He didnt know if it was working with this used engine as the temp sensor came with the engine. Yeah, I get roped into fixing and working on friends sleds all the time. This time he's gonna fix it so I said I would throw this question out on the forum. I own a pressure testing kit and the adapter for sleds. Also a compression gauge. If I lend them to him I may get them back in a year so to speak. Lol. Do these engines have problems with cracked or warped heads? The sled is over 100 miles away from me right now, and with this virus crap going on, there is little chance for me to see it. This started out as a 2003 ZR900 carb and the crank went out of it. The 800 is a direct drop in and no 900's were available at the time. I understand the 900 cylinders will bolt onto a 800 case, so that may be the route he takes. If that is incorrect, let me know.

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
If not o-rings as auburn mentioned, more than likely a warped mouth (sealing surface) of coolant reservoir bottle. (If top of bottle looks like it’s “out of round” when viewed from above, rest assured it’s warped.)

See this often, along with situations where someone has “forced” their metal caps tabs THROUGH the plastic bottles “stop tabs” (thus, bending caps tabs downwards slightly), and losing some of its clamping/sealing effect.

As for o-rings, have them pulled out and inspect grooves for what is a nearly invisible (to the human eye) build-up of crystallized crud in the grooves, this build-up will distort the o-rings and allow coolant to seep past into combustion chambers. I see this a lot also.

·
Administrator
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rusty. He now tell me one of the pistons has a small chip missing on the top edge basically in the 9 o'clock position if your sitting on it. I asked for pictures but haven't received any yet.

·
Administrator
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts