Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2002 ZR 800 EFI CCE with 2300Miles. The sled came with a Speedwerx Single Pipe/Can/Y. I also believe it has a Speedwerx clutch (Red secondary clutch spring and silver primary).

We put about 100 miles on it this past weekend with mixed performance results. It seems to be a bit sluggish at low RPM. It didn't seem to have much of a hole shot. It seemed great at mid range but If I was going 40-50MPH and mashed the gas it would miss and sputter then take off like crazy. Then as my speed increase it seemed to run short on power and sputter a bit. It never really fell on it's face but it would sputter as the RPM's came up. It also seemed better if I feathered the throttle instead of wide open.

Anyone have thoughts on this.

We took the APV's apart and they were really gummed up. We haven't got it back together yet. Could this be causing this issue or something else (poor cltuch kit, bad stator....bad injector???)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
boondocker control box, too add some fuel, and maybe a timing key to take real advantage of the long legs of the pipe

·
Registered
110 Posts
If Cleaning the Valves doesn't help, Check your Belt. Also Possible Broken Clutch Spring.
Also the Fuel Wires in front of the Air box for running Ethanol or Mixed Gas. Unplug them. I run mine all the time Unplugged with no Problem.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
How about just starting by running a can of fuel injector cleaner through it. I also agree with checking the APV's.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When my carbed sled had stuck APV's the only result was limited peak rpm. The valves should open at 6900 rpm. If working you'll rev past 7100 easily. If the APV's are not functioning you never rev past 7100.
It'll run fine otherwise though.
Good that you're correcting the valve gumming. Verify correct cable adjustment as well. Then check your clutching and the typical EFI issues. Yours sounds like a fuel issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

We are at 42deg today in North Dakota. All our snow is leaving. This might end up being a Fall testing.

Lets pray for one last snow storm!!!

I am leaning towards sticky APV's I was never able to ge the RPM's above 7000

Alos it seemed to load up at idle... Thoughts on this??

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cweinzatl35 @ Feb 21 2007, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
boondocker control box, too add some fuel, and maybe a timing key to take real advantage of the long legs of the pipe[/b]

What are guy's thoughts on whether I need to make EFI changes with the mods this sled has. Since I just bought this sled, I have no idea what has been doen. Could this be the issue.

Also what should the compression be on this 800

Thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (76CrossCountryCat @ Feb 22 2007, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cweinzatl35 @ Feb 21 2007, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boondocker control box, too add some fuel, and maybe a timing key to take real advantage of the long legs of the pipe[/b]

What are guy's thoughts on whether I need to make EFI changes with the mods this sled has. Since I just bought this sled, I have no idea what has been doen. Could this be the issue.

Also what should the compression be on this 800

Thanks
[/b][/quote]
I had the speedwerx single and can on my sled and it ran like crap just like yours, and would load up very easily at idle, even just stopping for a stop sign and trying to punch it, the sled would get boggy. Most aftermarket springs dont last as long as oem, so maybe go back to the purple primary spring. What I did that cured my bogging and poor performance was putting my stock can back on, I had a ZR 500 keep up with me and i was like WTF, so went to the garage and changed it out and I pulled away as soon as I hit the gas. This motor just doesnt like the combination, it even was good with the stock pipe and SW can. Love the sound with the can but much better performance with the pipe and stock can!! Pipe makes the most power at 7600rpm..fyi good luck

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (76CrossCountryCat @ Feb 22 2007, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks guys,

We are at 42deg today in North Dakota. All our snow is leaving. This might end up being a Fall testing.

Lets pray for one last snow storm!!!

I am leaning towards sticky APV's I was never able to ge the RPM's above 7000

Alos it seemed to load up at idle... Thoughts on this??[/b]

the 7000 max rpm could be the APV's. Clean them up and adjust the cables to spec. Clutching could be another issue limiting your R's.
Regarding loading up at idle...I can't comment on solutions for this in an EFI sled. My understanding is they idle like a charm, cold or warm. I have noticed posts both here and on HCS that seem to indicate that the EFI's develop gremlins after a couple years. I'm wondering if it may be attributed to poor summer storage preparation as most issues seem to surface in the fall.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have had an 02 Efi for 4 years now. Change the Clutching to an A/C Orange/White Primary Spring,
71.5 Gram Weights. Red/White Secondary Spring, Middle Hole. Try a 60/48 or a 58/48 Helix.
Put the Stock Pipe on, With the Aftermarket Can. Clean the Valves,Lightly Oil them with the Same Oil you Use before putting them Back in. Adjust the APV Cables to 1.20" or 30.5mm. This Measurement should be from inside the End Barb to the Cable Sheath{Exposed Cable}.
I have not had any Problems at all. This Clutch Set up Rocks, Pulls Hard all the Way thru and Tops out at around 7350RPMs. Also make sure your Belt Sets up about 1/8" above the Secondary Sheaves. Another trick that you can do is Use 80-60 Grit Sandpaper and Sand the Clutch Sheave Faces for better Belt Adheasion. Start from the Inside and Work it Up or Out to the Outside of the Clutch, Wipe them off with a Clean Dry Rag to remove the Dusty Residue, also use the Sandpaper on the outsides of the Belt to Gently Clean off any Impurities or Residues.
My wife has beat Stock 900's and other 800's running a Single Pipe/can with this Setup,
Including My 800 Carb. :angry:
If you need anything more, Shoot me a PM. Good Luck. ZR

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys,

It's amazing the amount of knowledge that lies within "Arctichat". I am blowen away by the amount of quick detailed responses people leave. When I get this figured out I will let you guys know. I am going to start with geting all components cleaned (APV, and Clutch and injectors). In the meantime I will be keeping an eye out for a stock can and pipe. Should I be concerned with going back to a stock "Y" collector.

Also does anyone have stock Can/Pipe for a 800 that they want to get rid of. Also if this fix works I will be having either a speedwerx Can/Pipe available reallt cheap.

Thanks everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts