Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much smoke is normal at start up for a 2002 ZL 550? I dunno I recently picked one up and it idles/runs great but when you gas it to back off or get on the trailer when it's still cold it smokes a lot, I know 2 strokes smoke but just wanted to make sure mine wasn't too excessive indicating a problem. The unit has 3k miles on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Manufacturer of the two stroke is another thing. Polaris oil adds a scent to their oil. Full synthetic I believe have less smoke. Least to know you have oil mixed in which is a plus. The oil pump has a line up arrow too. Read some older threads

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Manufacturer of the two stroke is another thing. Polaris oil adds a scent to their oil. Full synthetic I believe have less smoke. Least to know you have oil mixed in which is a plus. The oil pump has a line up arrow too. Read some older threads

I've been searching through a lot of older threads and see the lever with lines in a schematic but I'm not able to see the oil pump on my sled. Where do they tuck the oil pump? Do I have to remove something to find the actual pump and lever?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Pump is on the back center of the engine below the carbs/throttle body.

All of my sleds smoke quite a bit on start up. The smoke settles down after it warms up. Pretty normal. I can gas myself out of my 40'x54'x16' pole barn in just a few minutes with the doors closed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I ran it yesterday and it seems to be great, smokes at startup but settled down once it was warm. Ran great and the conditions were perfect. Clap

1 - 6 of 6 Posts