Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HERE HAS DONE MODS THEY LIKED ON THE 2002 Z440 SNO PRO FAN COOLED! MINE IS 100% STOCK AND IM THINKG MAYBE CHAINCASE GEARS OR AN EXHAUST CAN BUT I THINK THEY HAD THE 440 FAN SNO PRO ENGINE MAXED FOR POWER BUT IM NOT SURE. I WILL BE TRAIL RIDING THIS SLED IT HAS THE OIL INJECTION FACTORY RISERS AND GREAT SUSPENSION BUT I WANT TO GO FASTER TOP END! HAS ANYONE DONE MODS TO THEIR 2002 Z440 (FAN SNO PRO) PLEASE TELL WHAT YOU LIKED AND DID NOT LIKE ABOUT YOUR 02 Z440 SNO PRO. THANK YOU ALL

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
clutch it. fine tune the carbs. the exhaust is already tuned so not much room for improvement there.
but work the suspension and make the sled predictable going into the corners and then a rocket coming out. i think it should run around 7700-7800??

·
Registered
82 Posts
i just bought one also. its in pretty nice shape. i do have to send the rear suspension shocks into speedwerx to have them recharged. front line was busted in half when i got it.

i have spoke to BMP and Speedwerx and they said there isn't much you can do for it. clutching and as said above, fine tuning of the carbs. definately check your jets. know what you have. if you are set up for 0-+20 and its below zero, rejet or park it. or you may be sorry.

BMP did say they could do a pipe mod and porting for about 800 bucks. but, where do you draw the line?

·
Registered
7 Posts
ive got a 05 440lx. stock it only did around 50mph. made the clutch engage around 3700rpms and tuned the secoundary, i run a skinz ultra-q from a zl600. it hits 75 on a nice straight. im not sure of how much different the 02's were to the 05. i would imagine they are relatively the same. i did rejet the carbs though and it was to be enlarged more then i expected. i run a 1 inch track. everything combined together and it is a fantastic trail sled.

not much else i did. i didnt care for any actual motor work although i did have a headgasket leak at only 500 miles which explained why cylinder 1 plug looks so weird.

·
Registered
82 Posts
what year zl can did you use? is yours a race version? my 02 z 440 snopro has 68 hp compared to 50 hp on the z440. just wondering if yours is a snopro or not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
2002 was the last year for the fan cooled sno pros. after that they were all liquid 440's until the new 600 came out. Really good clutching and gearing is key to this sled. and also as other have stated make sure you jet right. In my region these things were jetted pig rich from the factory. If I remember correctly we jetted down 2 sizes for racing and jetted down one size for trail riding(from stock) I would recommend no taller than a 1.25" track if you want more than 75 mph out of it. With slightly different gearing and a 1" track you could probably hit 85 or 90 on a lake.
These sleds are best for tight woods riding and keeping the lower gearing and high clutching helps keep it that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I raced the fan snoxcross class for six years there is some more stuff you can do but it all makes it less and less of a trail sled!!!!!! Heres a list of what we did to ours they were 2000 fans but still the same engine. Yours actually had a little more horse power. Anyway we ported and polished them we got the specs from an old yamaha motor dont know which one i think it was a 500 liquid motor but not sure. Milled 45 thousandths off the heads. Those were the two that make it hard to trail ride but you can if you are careful. One thing you can check into is the ufo kit for the carbs they make a big difference and are fairly cheap. But if you do any of this you have to reclutch for sure because of the power increase. Well good luck let me know if you have anymore questions> i still have mine i bought it new and will never get rid of it> I dont ride it much i use it more for jumping more than anything but they are a fun sled

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HEY GUYS WHAT IV DONE IS CHANGED THE GEARS IN THE CHAIN CASE. I USED 1 BIGER TOOTH ON TOP AND ONE SMALLER ON BOTTOM, IT STILL PULLS REALLY HARD AND I CAN GET TO 88 MPH ON GPS. IT WILL STILL PULL THE SKI'S EASY AND I LOVE THIS COMBO. I LOVE THIS SLED ITS JUST A BLAST. 2002 Z440 SNO PRO WITH AROUND 600 MILES. AND THE GUY ABOVE SAID 2002 IS THE LAST YEAR WELL HE IS WRONG! 2003 IS THE LAST YEAR FOR THE FAN 440 SNO PRO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts