Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Z440 non-sp for my 12 year old and beleive the shocks are bad. The rear suppension is not returning to full travel and I can see some pitting on the rear shock although not sure if that means it's bad. Sled has around 1800 miles on it and runs great otherwise. Maybe I'm expecting to much but the suspension just does not seem to be doing much...quite a ruff ride.

I don't have the money to buy an expensive shock package.

Should I just buy OEM which is 1604-101 front and 1604-455 rear skid shock (kimplex?) or is there another quality shock you would suggest like SPI.

Can I upgrade to a rebuild-able ZR shock that would make it a better ride? If so do you happen to know which part number is compatible?

The front shocks seem ok would I need to replace them as well?

Also looking for a cheap used handle bar riser maybe 3-4". Anyone know how high I can go without cable extensions?

Was also looking to raise the seat a bit with a wooden shim per say as I have seen some on here look pretty nice.. any suggestions?

Ok, I know I have asked enough questions for about 4 posts but any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
I have a 2002 Z440 non-sp for my 12 year old and beleive the shocks are bad. The rear suppension is not returning to full travel and I can see some pitting on the rear shock although not sure if that means it's bad. Sled has around 1800 miles on it and runs great otherwise. Maybe I'm expecting to much but the suspension just does not seem to be doing much...quite a ruff ride.

I don't have the money to buy an expensive shock package.

Should I just buy OEM which is 1604-101 front and 1604-455 rear skid shock (kimplex?) or is there another quality shock you would suggest like SPI.

Can I upgrade to a rebuild-able ZR shock that would make it a better ride? If so do you happen to know which part number is compatible?

The front shocks seem ok would I need to replace them as well?

Also looking for a cheap used handle bar riser maybe 3-4". Anyone know how high I can go without cable extensions?

Was also looking to raise the seat a bit with a wooden shim per say as I have seen some on here look pretty nice.. any suggestions?

Ok, I know I have asked enough questions for about 4 posts but any help would be appreciated.
just buy cheap sealed shocks for it. thats all that came on it stock and they are probably shot. Might need new torsion springs as well since the sled is 10 years old.

a complete zr skid would be the best bet. it bolts right in. You just have to drill out the front arm mounting holes. They are already in the chassis, they just arent drilled out. There is a lot of differences between a zl and zr skid. Its not just shocks. complete zr skids are cheap and easy to find now days.

3 inch is about max on those sleds for handle bars

I would not shim the seat with wood. The seat is part of the entire gas tank unlike the firecats and mountain sleds. it might bend and crack the tank. I would take it to an upholstery shop and have them add foam to the seat to make it taller.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great info

just buy cheap sealed shocks for it. thats all that came on it stock and they are probably shot. Might need new torsion springs as well since the sled is 10 years old.

a complete zr skid would be the best bet. it bolts right in. You just have to drill out the front arm mounting holes. They are already in the chassis, they just arent drilled out. There is a lot of differences between a zl and zr skid. Its not just shocks. complete zr skids are cheap and easy to find now days.

3 inch is about max on those sleds for handle bars

I would not shim the seat with wood. The seat is part of the entire gas tank unlike the firecats and mountain sleds. it might bend and crack the tank. I would take it to an upholstery shop and have them add foam to the seat to make it taller.
Thanks.. this is some really good info. So, my Z440 is a ZL skid? I would almost bet that it would be about the same price to get a full used ZR skid then to get two new shocks and springs... What year(s) of ZR skids will fit or do you suggest? Where there certain years the same like 2000-2004, 2005-2009?

I was going to pull (first time I might say) the skid anyway so why not bolt a better skid in it.

Thanks again.Cat happy

·
Super Moderator
8,548 Posts
Thanks.. this is some really good info. So, my Z440 is a ZL skid? I would almost bet that it would be about the same price to get a full used ZR skid then to get two new shocks and springs... What year(s) of ZR skids will fit or do you suggest? Where there certain years the same like 2000-2004, 2005-2009?

I was going to pull (first time I might say) the skid anyway so why not bolt a better skid in it.

Thanks again.Cat happy
yes you have a zl skid. Get a 2000 and up zr skid. I put a 2002 in my 99 zl. I am willing to bet they are all the same from about 1997 and up. The zr skid is built heavier, has a little bit more travel, different geometry, ect. You will see they are a lot different when they are side by side. You should be able to get a complete zr skid for a couple hundred bucks with shocks. Just have the shocks rebuild and it will be good as new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts