Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the differences between the 2002 and 2003 mountaincats,mostly wonderin about the 600 though.which is beter,i would only us it for flatland powder andhardpacked fields up hear in canada.how easily do lugs break off because nobody has 2 inch lugs around hear so im not sure how strong they are.last thing about how much is one worth ?any help is appresiated[totaly spelled that wrong]thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The 2003 mountain cats were much lighter, and had a drop and roll done to make a better attack angle for deep snow. I had a 2002 and never rode it around here because it just simply is not a trail sled. You will bend and break the 2" lugs if you ride on too much hardpack. I think you would be happier with a sled geared more toward flatland riding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinkin that but we just had a major storm,by the bushes in the fields there was over nee deep powder but the fields are rock solid , i still think i want a long track though.there is one area that will for sure have waist deep powder but im afraid to do down cause i wont make it back up....

·
Registered
32 Posts
i had a 2002 mt.cat 600 that i rode in wisconsin along with a yearly trip out west. I am a very aggressive rider and when i sold it the 2" Challenger track had 4500 miles on it. There was some wear on the track, nothin more than a small lug track though. Mostly on the very tips of the lugs, never ripped any lugs totally off like ive seen with other tracks that are out there.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You dont need a mountain sled for that amount of snow, my ZR 800 with 1.25" lugs does awesome in the powder, so getting a Sno Pro version of something or like my 02 Cross Country edition. Good Luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can the 2003 600 snap up the skis easy, especially compared toa 2006 rmk and 2007 swithback which are also 600,whent ridding with the rmk today and he was going about 40-50 mph and he got the ski's about 4.5 fet off the ground just at the flick of his thumb,is that possible for the m-cat?

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well sure set up to do so, but other than looking cool you dont want your sled to do that, how are you supposed to steer with your skis off the ground? I love ski lift but set my sled up so it does as little as possible, need to be in control of the sled and its kinda hard without skis on the ground dont you think? They are designing the suspesions so they dont do that mainly for that reason, lack of control. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you buy a 600 in the 2002 to 2004 model years they require a little cluch work and a MBRP can really helps. The fuel mapping is a bit rich which the can helps lean out. The 2 inch track will not break off lugs with normal riding but wiil tear them off if spinning on rocks in the mountains. Put a total of 6700 miles on a 2001, 2003 and 2004 in a 800. Ripped some lugs off the 2003 in late spring riding in the mounatins. You will have more isses with wearing off the sliders due to poor librication than you will tearing up the track.

If you like to tail-walk with skiis in the air just let out the front limiter straps all the way and loosen off the back suspension. Great for show but not very rideable as there is minimal steering.

My 16 year old daughter daughter rode a 2001 600 for two years before I gave her one of my 800's. It would carry her 117 pounds anywhere once I had it clutched for the altitudes we ride at, 4000 feet to 9000 feet. With a lot of steep and deep.

The other guys are right for most flat-land riding a mountain cat is more than you need and the big track robs a lot of speed. As a rule a mountain model is 15 to 20 MPH slower than a comparible ZR or Firecat due to the gear ratios, clutching and big lug track. A 144 x 2 develops a lot of high speed vibration above 70 MPH. A good running ZR600 EFI with a 136 x 1/1/2 track will haul you anywhere in those conditions. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and gun it when in a tight spot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hopefully i will have 1 for the next season,i found a spot near my house that there is a creek with about 70 foot banks with some nearly straight up,went there yesterday and 3 guys rolled,it wasnt much fun for me on my little ski-doo 583,a nice place like this in the middle of flat saskatchewan!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
my 01 800 will pull them simmons skis up in a flash on hard pack trail with 2 in paddles just get a very nice track

1 - 12 of 12 Posts