Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just bought a 2002 Artic Cat Panther ESR 570 Fan and when I tried to unload from the trailer I couldn't gut the machine to go in FWD or reverse. You can hear clanking in the engine like it’s in between gears. It's hard for me to describe the sound except I know it's shouldn't be there. Can anyone help? I have it scheduled to be fixed next week but I would like to be able to drive it on the trailer.

Rick

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I would pull the cover on the chain case(right side of the sled). Check for metal chunks. Drain the oil out of it first. Plug on the bottom of the chain case. From there you need to check the chain and gears, and inspect for damaged or broken parts. Before you do this, see if the clutchs are working. The noice is coming from the left or right.

·
Registered
491 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rjfvt @ Nov 12 2009, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi
I just bought a 2002 Artic Cat Panther ESR 570 Fan and when I tried to unload from the trailer I couldn't gut the machine to go in FWD or reverse. You can hear clanking in the engine like it’s in between gears. It's hard for me to describe the sound except I know it's shouldn't be there. Can anyone help? I have it scheduled to be fixed next week but I would like to be able to drive it on the trailer.

Rick[/b]
Not sure of the setup on that machine , but have you checked the linkage and adjuster ?
i had a similar problem with my old panterra where the fwd/rvs handle seemed to move all the way in/out but the linkage was sloppy loose and caused the main lever not to ingage gears properly . i could move the handle in/out then move the lever connected to the chaincase with vise grip pliers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it out!! I pulled the pull start cover off the side of the motor and found two screws backed out and the third loose on the hub that catches the dogs for the pull start. That was clanking around making all kinds of noise. After I fixed that I also figured out because of the clanking I wasn't giving it enough gas to engage the drive. FWD and Reverse work fine.

Problem solved!

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rjfvt @ Nov 13 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I figured it out!! I pulled the pull start cover off the side of the motor and found two screws backed out and the third loose on the hub that catches the dogs for the pull start. That was clanking around making all kinds of noise. After I fixed that I also figured out because of the clanking I wasn't giving it enough gas to engage the drive. FWD and Reverse work fine.

Problem solved!

Rick[/b]
Sweet deal! Sled looks nice!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Make sure you found all the pieces,(any nuts or washer) this happened to a friend and the washers stuck to the manets in there, andwiped out the little pickup on the outside of the rotor.$$$$$$$$$$!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks,
I'll check it out plus I'm going to re-install the bolts with lock tight.

Thaks,

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts