Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2002 Arctic Cat Mountain cat 600 efi that I recently purchased here in Steamboat Springs, Colorado (6,700ft). It starts great on the second pull and idles forever. On my first outing on it, it presented a couple of issues.

First, we took it up on Buffalo Pass(10,000ft) and, while it was running well on the way up there, it started acting up once we got higher up (8,500 feet). I would be accelerating by holding the throttle, but suddenly the snowmobile would not respond (RPMs drop, sled slows down). My guess is that the sled is running a little too rich at altitude and that I will need to figure out how to adjust that.

Secondly, there were a couple instances when the snowmobile would stay in gear, so that when the RPMs dropped, it would stall out and shut off. Then, when I would try to restart it, it would remain in gear, making it difficult to pull the start cord. To solve this, I opened the hood and pulled on the belt to hopefully loosen the clutch. This worked and I was able to continue. I think that maybe the clutch is just sticky and perhaps I need to reassemble and lube it. What do you guys think?

As you can tell, I am new to snowmobiles, but just the few tastes that I have had have let me know that this is something that I want to be doing for quite a while. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Louis

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Either your primary or secondary clutch, or both, are the problem. Being new to sleds I would take it into the dealer there or down to volk and have them check it out. The things you can check for, would be the springs and rollers on both clutches and the spider and weights on the primary. You do not lube clutches, they should be kept as clean as possible. You need to take the outer cover off the primary to check everything out. If you have someone thats knows a thing or two about sleds it would be good to work with him and see how to do the basics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice! Its an efi. We do have an Arctic Cat dealer here in steamboat, so it sounds like I should take it to him and try to learn some stuff in the meantime. Ill let you know what I find out. How much should I expect to pay to have him adjust the clutch?

Is there a place to download free manuals online? I did see some pay websites directed from youtube videos that I wouldnt want to give my cc# to.

Again, thanks for being welcoming to a new snowmobile fan!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I'm thinking the primary is shot. Cats spiders have never been very good. Wheather it can be fixed or just needs to be replaced will determine the bill. Either way, you won't like it. Went you do your own wrenching you can look for deals on parts, once they go into a shop you are stuck with whatever they want to charge you. I hope you dealer is better to work with than my local "stealer". (not a typo!)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You can just click on the ad banner for country cat and look parts prices up. Remember these are online parts prices and most dealers charge full list. Or in the case of my closest dealer, full list plus their shipping cost to them from cat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.