Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I recently picked up a 2002 500 4x4 automatic. According to the previous owner it would barely rev at all, and break up while doing so. He was messing with the carb but didn't really know what he was doing. I got the quad home and he had swapped the idle and main jet, so it was idling with a 148 and revving with a 104 (I think 104?) so I swapped those jets and made sure everything carb related was in order before putting it back together. I did go to a 110 for idle as I plan on using this cold weather in the winter and that should help the cold starts. Now it starts right up and revs fine to a point, then it just seems like it wont go past ~1/3 throttle. I will attach 2 videos of the condition. After I get to 1/3 throttle, I can keep increasing throttle input with no change to the RPM. If I'm moving under load with this condition, I max out around 15mph in high, and the quad has very little power to even get to 15. Its bizarre, as I have never seen a condition like this while working on other bikes or quads. It doesn't seem like its running lean, no backfiring, revs clean to the point it stops, and will idle all day no problem. Seems to me like an electrical issue? When I got the quad, almost nothing electrical worked, I replaced all 6 fuses under the seat and that got everything working like the fan, headlights, etc.

• Carb has a 148 main (I have seen references from 140-150 for these 500s)
  • Carb has a 110 idle jet
  • Carb mixture screw is set to ~2.5 turns out
  • Quad starts and idles fine
  • Carb is spotless, I have verified all passages are clean multiple times
  • Float height seems correct at ~17mm
  • Air filter looks to be in good condition
  • Engaging choke while quad is warm and running will want to kill it (as it should)
  • I have fresh 93oct in it with a splash of sea-foam for good measure

Video links:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Remove the fuel line from carb and verify that you have a good flow of gas to it. Check that the diodes did not get reversed in the fuse box.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove the fuel line from carb and verify that you have a good flow of gas to it. Check that the diodes did not get reversed in the fuse box.
I do have good fuel flow to the carb, verified that a couple times so far. I have been seeing some posts about diodes, where would they be located? Under the seat there is a small fuse box with 6 fuses under a transparent cover with their amperage values listed. I don’t see any non-fuse component here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved my issue. Turns out the previous owner didn't seat the carb slide diaphragm correctly. Got that situated, and now it runs great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts