Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! Just traded for a 2002 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 that wouldn't start - recoil starter was missing and the electric starter would not engage. We pulled the starter and found that the starter gear in the case just freewheeled. I pulled the stator cover and found this:
Wheel Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Crankset
Automotive tire Wheel Hood Alloy wheel Tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Gear Crankset
Automotive tire Musical instrument Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system
Product Textile Wood Jewellery Auto part

I contacted a mobile welder specializing in mobile tig and sent him pics, asking if he could build up the boss on both the engine case and the stator cover using the dowel pin to build up against - he says he can, but it will fail very quickly (if not immediately). Is my only option to tear the motor down and swap cases if I want electric start? This is just going to be a utility quad on our property. It won't see any real hard use. Any and all opinions and options accepted, and if someone knows of a replacement motor for cheap, please speak up. I really didn't need another project. I can use the pull start, but I'm getting older and this is a big motor. Thanks!

·
Administrator
40,365 Posts
Ouch.

·
Registered
12,620 Posts
There was another thread for a 500 crankcase. Unfortunately it fits only 2000-2002. Next year range is only 03-04. Crankcase assemblies are in the 1400 usd range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts