Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this machine for probably 6 years now, bought it used with less than 2000 miles. I use it to tool around the property, take the saw out and cut wood etc. it has not been beat on but its old. it started not moving every now and then (not all the time) till I revved the engine then it would clunk and catch then go. finally it wouldn't move at all. I took the clutch/belt cover off and the belt is good and seems like the clutch is working when I give it gas, the shifter rod moves fine. I took the flywheel cover off and the shifter feels ok and I don't see anything wrong. I'm a little hesitant to tear into the wet clutch but I will. Any thoughts on what would clunk then it would catch then move?, I've tried to research this but have not found anything matching my problem. Help, help, help and thanks.

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
does the clutch and belt spin before the clunk and move, or after? (make sure the wheels are off the ground before running the engine with the clutch guard off)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Did you pull the clutch off and see if any rollers are broken? If you had it in the air while checking with cover off it may work OK due to no load on drivetrain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cant run it with the flywheel cover off as there is no engine oil, the clunk happened before it moved, then it quit moving all together that's where I'm at now, so what probably broke so it wont move and why do I need the tires off the ground to run it with with the clutch cover off?. Thanks, Tom

·
Administrator
2,312 Posts
The clutch cover has a bearing that supports the front pulley. putting a load on the belt can damage the wet clutch, its bearings, and the seal that keeps oil off the belt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhh makes sense, I watched a video of a guy running his with the cover off and the wheels on the ground, it never occurred to me that the cover was a support, that's why I'm on here you guys are good!!. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I pulled the clutch and inside cover, I lifted the rear wheels, I can spin the secondary shaft (wheel drive shaft) with it in gear and it does not spin the drive shaft, I think a pin sheared or a gear stripped, it looks like pulling the engine and splitting it is the only option, am I correct?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like I need two specialty tools one to pull the flywheel and one to pull the crank, looks like a pretty timely and involved job, I work on lawnmowers and chainsaws (small engines) not sure I feel comfortable with this, suggestions?, thoughts?.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I pulled the clutch and inside cover, I lifted the rear wheels, I can spin the secondary shaft (wheel drive shaft) with it in gear and it does not spin the drive shaft, I think a pin sheared or a gear stripped, it looks like pulling the engine and splitting it is the only option, am I correct?.
Wait, you had it in the air and spun a wheel axle? Maybe the splines on rear axle shaft and/or diff splines are worn. Somebody else had that issue with an older atv. Happened on my buddy's honda too. Can you turn the output shaft while in gear in the air?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the rear wheels off the ground and could spin the secondary shaft while it was in gear then I held the secondary shaft and spun the rear wheels, I could feel something slipping on the shaft, then I put it in 4 wheel and turned a rear tire and it turned the front tires, pretty sure its an internal gear problem on the output {secondary clutch shaft}.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found that the secondary drive shaft that the beveled gear attaches to one end the other end gear came loose and was slipping on the shaft, I guess its a pressed gear. its the gear closest to where the speedometer hooks to the end of the shaft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts