Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced starter relay, ignition contacts are clean. Turn key, no power, but I have headlights.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Voltage regulator maybe? Did you test the battery to make sure it's good? Have you tried to pull start it or just electric start?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@KV207 - Where would I find that on the machine? The battery is good, yes. I tried to pull start, and it turns over.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Replaced starter relay, ignition contacts are clean. Turn key, no power, but I have headlights.

Any ideas?
So you have no power at pod. Does it turn over with starter and does it run if pull started? Have you checked all fuses?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It should be above the battery and to the right of it. I've attached a picture of what it looks like. It's a cheap part and a good place to start

I don't see anything like that in the batter compartment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you have no power at pod. Does it turn over with starter and does it run if pull started? Have you checked all fuses?
@660catman - No power at ignition, or on the other side of the starter relay. I've all fuses, they're all good. I haven't pulled on it long enough to try start it.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
By chance is kill switch in OFF position? You can still have lights but no ignition power. What was reason you changed starter relay? Did it fail?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kill switch is ON. I changed it as I had heard that was someone else's issue, and it was cheap.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
I wonder if you got a defective relay then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No idea. I'm not even convinced the old relay was bad. But, when I test the relay, there's only power to the left screw, and not the right, even when turning the key. It seems like it's something else.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
There’s no power on right side of relay until you press start button. I tested this on my 400. Test that on yours. Start buttons have been known to get corroded and not work. This is why you should try start by hand to see if it runs and test voltage to rule out your regulator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright, I'll try that. But, I did test the relay with the start button the other day, and nothing. There's no light on the panel up front where the neutral light is, that's what I'm wondering if it isn't something else.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Does your machine have SIG which is start-in-gear feature. You pull on hand brake lever and it will start. If you don't have that feature I'm thinking it's your neutral safety switch. You may be in neutral but switch is saying it's not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It does, but that’s never worked. The neutral safety switch makes sense. Could that be the reason I’m not getting any gear lights on the panel?

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Yes. Your SIG feature probably does not work because of a faulty brake light switch. Do you have a service manual? If not download one from countrycat.com under technical information. It's in the grey bar at top of home page. Contacts and/or springs may be broken or worn out on neutral switch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts