Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just recently bought an 2001 zr 800 a little over 4k miles. Went out for a first ride this past weekend, only a few miles, was misfiring bad, and very loud found a hole in the pipe, I ordered a good used pipe and coil. But unfortunately I found the pull cord side spark plug gray and the electrode bent a little bit. Top of of piston was gray too. Engine spins over freely by hand, but compression low around 100 psi in both cylinders. I know it needs a rebuild. My question is, what's the best rebuild kit? And would the hole in the pipe cause it to lean out? Or would there be another cause? Like the carb it carb boot. Thank you very much let me know what you guys think.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
yes hole in the pipe can lean it.
check carb boots for cracks.
spi makes good pistons for that engine.
order cat oem piston rings seperatley and new o rings for the head

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hello, just recently bought an 2001 zr 800 a little over 4k miles. Went out for a first ride this past weekend, only a few miles, was misfiring bad, and very loud found a hole in the pipe, I ordered a good used pipe and coil. But unfortunately I found the pull cord side spark plug gray and the electrode bent a little bit. Top of of piston was gray too. Engine spins over freely by hand, but compression low around 100 psi in both cylinders. I know it needs a rebuild. My question is, what's the best rebuild kit? And would the hole in the pipe cause it to lean out? Or would there be another cause? Like the carb it carb boot. Thank you very much let me know what you guys think.
What caused the hole in the pipe?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x2
I would also rec. going through the carbs [cleaning, inspecting, making sure they are the correct ones, etc.]
Thank you! I plan on tearing it down tomorrow to find out what's going on and ordering parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts