Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a used 2001 ZL 500 efi esr with low miles. I don't really care to spend $7000 on a new sled, but want to upgrade to sleds with reverse and electric start. I also like the efi. I am interested in any experience people have had with this sled and the non valved 500 efi engine. HP, speed, and fuel mileage are concerns. And do the APV engines provide an increase in mileage that offsets the $30/gal oil cost.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello,

I've got the exact sled. Very fun. High revving! Engages close to 5 grand. Tops out closer to 9 grand. Ski's lift off the ground real easy. Very snappy. Mine has a 1.25 lug track and about 80 - 85 mph is tops for it. Plenty fast for me. I understand the taller lugs will slow you down but awesome traction and handling. Very comfortable ride. If you baby it, I mean run 25-30 mph real easy, you might see 13-14 mpg. Get on it at all and mileage can drop into single digits. I think the worse I've seen is 8-9 mpg. I am not the most aggressive rider but I do like to keep up a nice pace when trail riding. I love the sled. My biggest complaint is the fuel economy. My carb 96 Cougar 550 will get 14 mpg or better pretty consistently riding it the same way.

So if you are looking for a great sled and can deal with fueling up more often, go for it. If fuel economy is a big issue for you, this is not the sled. A 550 carb is much better on fuel and still very snappy. My Cougar will run right with the ZL in most if not all situations. I imagine your 600 Pantera would see better economy than that ZL 500.

Hope this is helpful to you. As I said, love the sled, wish the mileage was better.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I threw twin pipes on my cougar, a 1.25 inch 136 inch track with extensions and I still get 12 mpg when I am riding hard, maybe 10 on excessively hard riden days. APV does help with fuel mileage though, alot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts