Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a 2001 Thundercat Mountain Cat 144" on Saturday. Just wondering what would be some good mods for it? I've read that the chain case is slightly rolled so I plan on getting 10t drivers (unsure of brand), around a 1.35" composit track, installing a 9" big wheel kit, maybe a lightweight hood, and maybe the front suspension from a king cat. Ill use it for trail and lake riding. Anyone have recommendations to make it lighter and ride a little better?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
a lightweight hood will help
just put the tach in it.
stock the chaincase is not rolled.
do the op roll it with t he tunnel extension and skid extension.
you need ice scracthers.

we ride some 03 mtn cat 900 on the trail. the 2 inch paddle on my sons is tuff.
if there is only hard pack it will run hot.
have to dip off trail alot to get snow to rear cooler.
we added dually 8 inch carbides and it still steers for **** on the trail.
they have no sway bar
we have 8 tooth drivers
20 top gear 41 bottom.
tops out 90ish on the trail.
off trail in 4 feet of snow it will carry the skis till you run out of gas though.
absolute blast off trail

·
Registered
787 Posts
The 2001 isn’t a rolled chaincase unfortunately. And as easy as it is to move it down, it’s very laborious. The good news is that you’re not planning on a 2” track. What track are you running? 3pitch? Or stock 9.52?

A hood and headlight delete is lots of weight. As is a can swap if applicable in your state.

The 1M front end is a great choice. As would be a Proclimb 141” skid. Nice and light. Loose 30 up front. Lose 30 out back.

From there you can move the steering forward with some mods or a aftermarket post. Update the tank to a 1M tank and Boss/WRP/etc seat will give you more fuel and narrower tank with a lightweight seat saving 10-15lbs.

They can get under 500lbs but it’s a process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
My 1100.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2001 isn’t a rolled chaincase unfortunately. And as easy as it is to move it down, it’s very laborious. The good news is that you’re not planning on a 2” track. What track are you running? 3pitch? Or stock 9.52?

A hood and headlight delete is lots of weight. As is a can swap if applicable in your state.

The 1M front end is a great choice. As would be a Proclimb 141” skid. Nice and light. Loose 30 up front. Lose 30 out back.

From there you can move the steering forward with some mods or a aftermarket post. Update the tank to a 1M tank and Boss/WRP/etc seat will give you more fuel and narrower tank with a lightweight seat saving 10-15lbs.

They can get under 500lbs but it’s a process.

The track on it is shot. Blaine was saying that there is more room. Maybe the heat exchanger is located different from a 121 Thundercat? I figured I'd get 10T drivers and find a track between 1.25 and 1.4. Are the drivers 3 or 2.52?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
for sure the 2003 mtn cat gas tank and seat will help lighten it.
on my 900 mtn cat 144 track is 1 inch.
it is better on trail, but i have to follow my sons path off trail in the deep.
i have screw in carbides for some traction in the corners.
drivers are what ever pitch you buy.
match your replacement track to them of course.
the stock should be 2.52
i have a new set of running board cut outs if you want them.
light weight plastic?
i also have wild child steering post, it will help your machine off trail.
let me know
you also need skid plate and lighter weight skis

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for sure the 2003 mtn cat gas tank and seat will help lighten it.
on my 900 mtn cat 144 track is 1 inch.
it is better on trail, but i have to follow my sons path off trail in the deep.
i have screw in carbides for some traction in the corners.
drivers are what ever pitch you buy.
match your replacement track to them of course.
the stock should be 2.52
i have a new set of running board cut outs if you want them.
light weight plastic?
i also have wild child steering post, it will help your machine off trail.
let me know
you also need skid plate and lighter weight skis
Ok I'll look for that. I assume all 03-05 mountain cat/king cat/1M seats are the same weight? I have some Polaris Axys RMK boards that I'm going to install. Light weight plastic as in? Whats the wild child post do? Who sells the light weight skid plate?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The wildchild post is a forward offset post. You’ll want that upgrade right away. Risers and a cleaner bar setup can be a 5lb drop too.

All 1M seats are the same. Problem is that they are styrofoam and a lot of them have broken down in 15 years. If you can find a dry and solid one you’re gold. Altho the seating position of a hi-rise seat is night and day better. Puts hips over knees if you’re average height or so. Makes standing up so much easier.

And bump it to 200hp and you’re golden!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tcat mountiancat has wider a arms and sway bar.
some king cats have titianium front springs
I mean weight wise. I suppose the king kats titanium springs are the lightest. I picked up a king cat seat tonight. Are the fuel tanks all the same gallon size and weight also?

·
Registered
787 Posts
No they are lighter and hold more fuel. I suggest you go with a 1M tank as well. They are also narrower where you’re knees hit when riding aggressively.

Any mountain cat from 2003-2006 front end is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No they are lighter and hold more fuel. I suggest you go with a 1M tank as well. They are also narrower where you’re knees hit when riding aggressively.

Any mountain cat from 2003-2006 front end is what you are looking for.

I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
787 Posts
There’s roughly 100lbs off of my black one. Titanium front end. Proclimb rear. CR Racing tunnel. Aaen pipes. Has oil delete and pods. RMI drive. BR Tech hood w no light. CR Racing tidbits and Fly carbon bars. Boss seat.

Beats up on a buddy’s 1220 routinely. It’s just a ported 1000 with reeds. 156x2.5 track.

The 1100 with a chaincase is still faster tho. Basically the same mods but stock hood and headlight. PSI pipes. 162x2.5 track.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There’s roughly 100lbs off of my black one. Titanium front end. Proclimb rear. CR Racing tunnel. Aaen pipes. Has oil delete and pods. RMI drive. BR Tech hood w no light. CR Racing tidbits and Fly carbon bars. Boss seat.

Beats up on a buddy’s 1220 routinely. It’s just a ported 1000 with reeds. 156x2.5 track.

The 1100 with a chaincase is still faster tho. Basically the same mods but stock hood and headlight. PSI pipes. 162x2.5 track.

That's pretty sweet. I hope I can get lighter. I want to make a bog big wheel kit, 10t drivers, lightweight brake, and titanium shafts. I'm also designing a 9 tower clutch cover. I plan to reduce the rotating mass.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I run 9” big wheels. 8T 3p drivers. And yeah the driveline is definitely where most of the thought comes to make it work like it does. 4-Pro Primary. Hi-Tech secondary. Gears and chain deflection all matter. I run stock gun drilled shafts. I had titanium and they broke quick. I have an aluminum jackshaft still but I don’t think I’ll be using it. The RMI drive is badass. If only I could change gearing, it’d be unstoppable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought some titanium springs for the front today. I did some part referencing today. I noticed that the spindles have different part numbers for the years. King cat is 1703-388, 03 MC 1703-076, 04 MC 1703-328. Any difference or is just paint or something?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just colour. Any will work. Same with a-arms and shocks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What do you recommend to run for shocks? Prefer the best I can get. I have fox on the front. I can order the king cat/1m shocks for the front. What about the rear shocks as well. Will the 162" shocks be fine in the 144"?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts