Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up this 2001 Arctic Cat 400 (4x4) for $1000 Canadian ($780 USD). The plastics are rough, but the actual bike has very little wrong. It only ran on choke when purchasing it, but that was good enough for me. Ownership papers in hand too.

After some carb cleaning and ripping off all the years of various bad mods other owners have done to it, I'm left with a running/driving bike that's just kind of ugly with all the bad plastic on it. Trying to make my decision, find a bike yard near by (there is one within an hour) and hope they don't bend me over for plastics. Or attempt to do some repairs.

What say you internet strangers? I feel like I got an insane deal, but trying not to ruin that deal by just blowing cash on plastics that might get bent up again anyways. I'm in no rush, so slow grind work does not scare me.

Plant Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Motor vehicle Plant Automotive tire Grass Bumper

Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grass Bumper

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I do plan to sand and paint the front and back rack metal, before anyone comments on that. Mostly curious on what the consensus is for this type of extensive plastic damage (and missing pieces).

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Keep looking for replacement plastics. Never know, if you are patient, might find one that was kept in a barn, bad motor, etc. I believe the 500's and maybe the 454's had same plastics. I had a 2001 manual shift 500 and it was a great ATV, though once I bought a 2002 400 with FIS, it spoiled me for full independent suspension. Pic of my 500, sold it for $2500, still kinda miss her. What a workhorse.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Arctic Cat 400
1,369 Posts
If they weren't already that far gone I would get them welded, if you find a new set and crack them you can find a plastics shop and they can plastic weld them, the local shop where I am charges $50/hr and only charged me $30 to weld a 10" crack in my front fender.

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently picked up this 2001 Arctic Cat 400 (4x4) for $1000 Canadian ($780 USD). The plastics are rough, but the actual bike has very little wrong. It only ran on choke when purchasing it, but that was good enough for me. Ownership papers in hand too.

After some carb cleaning and ripping off all the years of various bad mods other owners have done to it, I'm left with a running/driving bike that's just kind of ugly with all the bad plastic on it. Trying to make my decision, find a bike yard near by (there is one within an hour) and hope they don't bend me over for plastics. Or attempt to do some repairs.

What say you internet strangers? I feel like I got an insane deal, but trying not to ruin that deal by just blowing cash on plastics that might get bent up again anyways. I'm in no rush, so slow grind work does not scare me.

View attachment 371474
View attachment 371476
View attachment 371477
View attachment 371473
View attachment 371475
View attachment 371472
View attachment 371480
View attachment 371479
View attachment 371478
Keep an eye on ebay, lots parts there!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts