Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a clean little 2001 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 machine with low miles.

Got her home using the pull start, but for some reason the electric start and lights wouldn't work. Chased down a bad 30A main fuse and swapped it out thinking I'd found the problem - but it immediately blew again. And again. And again.

So I started disconnecting things, including the winch and ultimately EVERYTHING SINGLE ELECTRICAL CONNECTION on the machine. Every single one I could find - not even joking. Burned through a dozen fuses before finally narrowing it down to the voltage regulator - I think. Could be part of the harness downstream from the regulator as well, I suppose....But the instant I plug in the regulator, she pops the main 30A fuse. I can't imagine that the harness has tons of wear spots; it's like new, stored indoors, and was used primarily for shoveling/plowing snow off of his driveway and the neighborhood walkways. Really a pampered machine, all in all.

Do regulators go bad? Looks like they're available for about $60 - $75 online. I would love to hear that yes, in fact, they do go bad and that it is likely the issue. If I have to start chasing wire and unraveling the entire harness I'm going to be frustrated. I've already spent so much time just getting to this point! I'm not a speed demon when it comes to electrical gremlins. Could it likely be the problem? I would love to just plug and play a new regulator and be down the road once again. Any input?

Here's what I have at this point:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

Do regulators go bad very often?

The battery I installed was larger than the dead battery I removed. That wouldn't necessarily impact the way the regulator behaves, would it?

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Like you I’m not a speed demon at dealing with electrical issues. It may very well have a short in it. Usually they fail by overcharging or undercharging. It’s not a bad price either. Not sure if larger than recommended battery is an issue. Do you have a wiring diagram along with a service manual? Both can be downloaded from countrycat.com. At home page scroll down to “technical information”
You may not be getting replies as you did post in DVX forum where there’s not a lot of activity. Hopefully one of the admins could move it to proper forum.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Wow, ask and you shall receive
Thanks to doorfx

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
No problem!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No input on this old dog?

Is a $75 voltage regulator the place to start? Or am I gambling?

Guess it's a gamble either way; replace the regulator and the main still pops - I'll know that something else is the issue. Somewhere downstream from the regulator.

Battery size sound still come into play here - but in doubting it. I'm still using a motorcycle battery that fits nicely into the battery pocket, so I have a hard time thinking that it's blowing the main fuse. Could be - but I doubt it. My experience with motorbikes has been that they are incredibly forgiving with battery size, as long as things are remotely close.

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
That’s what I was thinking with price of regulator. Have you tried only plugging one of the plugs in at a time to see if only one blows fuse? Did you find service manual for wiring to see diagram?

·
Administrator
39,129 Posts
Any luck?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah - installed a new voltage regulator and she's back!

Rode a 20+ mile loop yesterday without a single hiccup. Felt great, and she performed flawlessly!

Thanks all for the help -

·
Registered
12,254 Posts
Great to hear

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can tell just by looking that the epoxy had pulled away from the unit most likely heat--ived blown 6 of them and always carry a spare

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can tell just by looking that the epoxy had pulled away from the unit most likely heat--ived blown 6 of them and always carry a spare
Like you I’m not a speed demon at dealing with electrical issues. It may very well have a short in it. Usually they fail by overcharging or undercharging. It’s not a bad price either. Not sure if larger than recommended battery is an issue. Do you have a wiring diagram along with a service manual? Both can be downloaded from countrycat.com. At home page scroll down to “technical information”
You may not be getting replies as you did post in DVX forum where there’s not a lot of activity. Hopefully one of the admins could move it to proper forum.
Thank you all for this post. I just bought a 2000 Arctic Cat 400 4x4 that needed some work. It bogged down when you gave it gas. I thought it was the Carb. I was sadly mistaken and after a week of frustrating debugging got now where until I saw this post. I disconnected the stater part of my regulator and machine worked as it should. So thankful for internet. Happy ridding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts