Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching through the forums for a discussion that helps out the most. So far I've seen so much conflicting information, I'll start my own thread and hope for the best.

I have an Arctic Cat 300 4x4. Its a good solid quad that pretty easy to work on, till something major needs to be done. I need to change address a slipping clutch. I've adjusted the screw dozens of times and haven't had any success. The information I have seen has said adjust in neutral and some have said adjust in 1st. At this point I am swapping out the centrifugal clutch for a new one. The drum is fairly well grooved. The clutch and drive plates look solid.

What I want to ask is when I put it back together, what gear should I be in to adjust the clutches? First or Neutral?

Should there be anything else I address before I put it back together as a precaution?

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
The manual is not clear on clutch adjustment as far as leaving in gear or neutral. I would leave in neutral and adjust as per manual after you have everything together. Are all the drive plates within spec? Have you had the quad long and what type of oil do you have in there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Farm I work for has had it since new. The oil is Lucas 4 stroke ATV 10W-40 approved for wet clutches. I do not have the tools to fully remove the clutch basket but did an eye ball examination. They all have consider material on them. The centrifugal clutch still had a lot of material but was missing chunks at the ends of each pads. I figured that is whats causing the drum to get grooved and slip.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Oil is good then. I guess install new clutch and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Is it possible for a centrifugal clutch material to become glazed even in the right oil? We were pulling a heavy trailer often. I don't know how much these "auto clutches" can take before they have been pushed too far.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
I think if they slip just a little bit and are worked like pulling a heavy trailer they could get glazed. The heat from slipping could kill them and make them brittle. I'm assuming you have 3 ranges on the transmission, HI, LO, and SUPER LO? For sure be in at least LO while towing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. Its mostly ran in LO. HI is for when the motorcycle trailer is attached and empty. Super LO for when pulling a utility trailer loaded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts