Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 500 auto 4x4.
I bought it in march and had to replace the belt cover bearings.

All has been well up until now.

NOTICE: I’m not a mechanic by any means, I do not know much about this but I want to learn....

At first I thought it was the bearings again, but it sounded more like the belt dragging against something.
I took the cover off and the cover bearing are fine.

I did notice that the belt looked loose, and I could move it up and down about and inch to an inch and a half.
I thought this was weird because I didnt remember it being like this when I opened it up the first time to replace bearings.

Anyways, I cranked it up and the belt immediately tightened up.

I gave it about half gas and the belt started to make this dragging like noise once it got about half way down the rear, larger pulley.
This noise that I’m hearing has not always been there.

I know that there is some normal noise just from the belt going round.

What my question is, ... Could this be a bad belt?
The teeth on the belt look good, they look long on the bottom and shorter on the top. none of them look worn or missing.
any help on this issue would be great.

If I left out some information you need to try and help me, please ask and I will provide any info I can.

I need to get this ATV up and going ASAP.

thanks
Matthew

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
all the teeth do is let the belt flex. the real question is how wide is the belt?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The Secondary, Larger pulley in the rear it opens and closes under spring pressure to react to what the front pulley is doing. I've never seen the internals of a 500 secondary, but pretty sure there is a helix of some sort that the spring works against to open and close it. In your case, you may have rust, mud, belt dust and who knows what caked up and keeping the opening and closing of the secondary from operating as smoothly as it should, The biggest clue you provided to support this idea of mine is you saying the belt was loose when you pulled the cover. That tells me your secondary is sticking open. Probably due to caked up crude in the back side of the pulley. to service this the secondary probably needs to come off, disassembled, cleaned and re-lubed where required. In the pinned secion you should be able to fine a service manual that will aid you in this task, if not one there for a 2001, just use the oldest model year on the site, not many changes over the years and still applicable,

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wyo,
Thanks for your post.

I looked behind the secondary and I did see a spring, a rather large one.
I will see what is involved in removing and cleaning this...
I dont want to spend 500 bucks at the dealer, but i dont want to mess anything up either....

I will inspect closer tomarrow around this spring, and secondary to see if i can find any deris that could be causing problems.

thanks
Matthew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts