Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a few days ago I had to pull off the belt cover to check out noise that sounded like a bearing.
Both bearings checked out fine.

I was blowing air to clean out dust behind pulleys...

I started it it see if the sound was still there... after about 15 20 sec, and I was just slightly reving.. not even half, maybe quarter.

Oil started to pour out of the first pulley.

Can anyone tell me what in the hell just happened?

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
The seal behind the primary clutch (the pulley as you called it) is likely bad. When you rev it (even a little) the pressure inside the case will push oil out through that seal if it's bad.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks for the reply.
Im new to working on ATVs , but I want to learn...

Should I take this to the dealer or is this something that a newb can tackle?

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also I wanted to ask,
should I have not started it with the cover off?
is that what may have caused this issue?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sanny651 is correct the seal is bad. It's not that bad of a job but you do have to remove the inner clutch cover to access the seal, and you have to make sure to get the one way bearing in correctly and that the new seal is seated correctly. If you do the job yourself make sure that you buy a new gasket for the inner clutch cover as the one on there will likely get torn on dis assembly.

Hope this helps Jeff

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok... well i have some bad news..

I took the clutch cover off, pressed out the clutch housing, replaced 2 seals and an o-ring.
I repressed the housing back onto the clutch cover, replaced the clutch cover gasket and placed the one way cutch on the clutch assembly the right way.
I installed it on the clutch assembly with the green dot not showing.

I buckle everything down .. installed the two clutches. and get the oil in it...

I start it up, and the front clutch wobbles... like the shaft on the clutch housing is bent, but nothing happened to the shaft when it was out.
All i did was press out and press in... at a machine shop...

Also it has a very loud clanking noise in the clutch cover. Im thinking that since its wobbling, the clutch housing assembly is hitting the clutch cover.

can someone tell me whats going on here???
Why is it, or what is making the primary clutch wobble?

thanks for any info....

Matthew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts