Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for the length, just wanna get as many details out as possible. So earlier this summer I came across what i believed to be a steal of a deal. A guy I knew from town was selling 2 non running 2000 zr 600s that looked in fairly good condition (other than a tear in both seats) for just $400. I was told that neither have ran in about 2 years when one motor blew and the second was bought from a family friend for a parts sled. They never got the time and wanted them gone. I bought them planning to get both of them running, one for me and one for my girlfriend. Long story short I got the first one running with just a new drive shaft, chain case parts, and idler wheels. But that was the one with the good motor. I am now onto the second one. This one has about 4000 miles and one cylinder with no compression and the other with about 100 psi. My initial thought was just a quick top end rebuild and a chain case (as this one was stripped because it had reverse) and it’ll be good to go. I would also like to quickly point out that for this sled, my goal is to just get it going for as little money as possible for this years snow, then really dig into it over the summer when I have some spare cash. So once I tore apart the top end, I found an almost completely demolished piston. Like both skirts are about gone and there’s alittle bit of something melted into the top of it. BUT, the cylinder walls have no scuffs at all and there is no noticeable damage anywhere else, even the head. So my question is can I just go along with my plan of a quick top end rebuild, by which I mean just a light hone on the cylinders and 2 new pistons. Or should I be worried about something else that may have happened. I’ve done 2 top ends before and never seen a piston this messed up. I’d really hate to pour a lot of cash into a top end and chaincase and have something else be seriously wrong so what else should I look for? I looked down in the crank to see if anything got damaged and it all looks fine and the same as the other side. I guess I’m really just looking for some suggestions so anything will help. Thanks!
-Matt

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
At minimum i would completely tear down that engine, top and bottom. Inspect the crank bearings and look at the bottom case. Seen many that have dropped skirts and chunks get under the crank/rod and get smashed into the bottom case cracking the case. Id also check crank runout per manual. This stuff should be almost free to do if you have a dial indicator. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Like mopar4u said . Tear it down for peace of mind. Don’t want to spend that money on the top end and then it comes loose on you because the bottom end failed. I was in the same boat as you on my 02 zr rebuild. My blown piston parts went out the exhaust, got lucky but didn’t no that Intill I took the bottom end apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I was hoping to avoid that since I didn’t see any damage for the top point of view but I also kinda figured I’d be told to tear apart the bottom end. Never actually messed with a crank so any tips I should know about? And I’ll try to keep everyone updated but since I’m out of town for this next week, not sure if I’ll get to it till after I get back. And I’ll also try to upload a pic of the piston. Thank you both though!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Get the cat manual, it will walk you through.

keep parts organized and keep the work area and parts clean clean clean during reassembly. Take pictures as you go so you know how things go back together (and the forum likes pictures;)). Don't pry on the machined surfaces where the cases meet during disassembly. Spin the crank bearings slow and fast, listen and feel for slop and or grumbling. In general inspect for rust, pitting and damage on the cases and crank. Like i noted above, id try to indicate the crank for runout per the manual if possible.

i know your on a budget but if after inspection you decide its worth fixing the motor you need to decide if you want to do the water pump while you’re that far. Most will tell you to do it but it will be more $$.

This is a great forum, ask questions when in doubt.

Reactions: ToMang07

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay sounds good, I’ll update you guys once I get going, and I’m sure I’ll have a few questions here and there, thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Could take out the engine and flush it with diesel/kerosene... if you dont wanna split the cases... fill it up, rotate crank, dump stuff. Do it until nothing comes out. Re-oil and rotate until nothing binds. Nothing beats a tear down, but sometime you get lucky...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Wow! Ive never seen that much piston disappear. Are you positive the cylinder didnt get damaged?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Wow, yes on everything said. Make sure you rattle/thump them on the ground ---(your pipe hard & your exhaust box.) You probably have piston parts in those. You might suck them back into the motor and/ or & If it plugs the exhaust you will overheat it and smoke it again.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
I would be willing to beat the crank bearings (at least one of them) are shot with that much aluminum floating around in the bottom end. With that much damage the odds are not in favor of all the bearing being good. Been there, .... done that. I would be cleaning the bearings and see if they make noise or have a flat spot on them while spinning. Might need to send it it to someone like Northern Crank. For the cost, you will know what you have instead of buying used and not knowing. Your call.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But the good news is that I found out that my brother in law has a blown motor sitting in his garage for the exact same sled (just green and the Blair Morgan edition). So I’m thinking about tearing his bottom end apart and stealing his bottom casing if that would work.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ouch.... good thing you took the bottom end apart..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
You shouldn't really put another bottom end on a different case. They are align bored at the factory for a proper fit and doing this kinda defeats the purpose of having a dependable engine long term. You are asking for trouble doing that. I would look for another engine or cases for it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts