Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay quick background, end of last season ended up blowing the skirt off of pto side piston, got into the crankcase and punched 2 holes in it...fast forward to last week, got new crankcase and pistons/rings, assembled the motor go to start and it wont fire..can get it to stumble a very little. Here is what is known...sled has spark, stator has 3 lighting coils and 1 ignition coil, lighting coils test out fine and ignition coil ohms out to 154ohms...not sure what it should be. The second from the left timing mark on the stator is lined up with the timing mark on the crankcase as it was on the previous engine. Tried starting sled with the 4-prong plug from the stator disconnected to bypass tether,kill switch,TSS, etc. Knowing it had spark I poured a little gas/oil mix down the spark plug holes...nothing not even a stumble, so I try starting fluid, same outcome. Fuel pump is functioning fine, pulse line is functioning fine, carbs are clean and functioning fine, compression is 110 on both sides and it holds pressure. I pulled the exhaust no critter houses in it, with exhaust off I raise the rear of the sled to almost vertical and had 1 cylinder at TDC, got a tiny bit of fuel to leak out, then lifted front of sled to near vertical and disconnected the pulse line from the crancase and pulled it over some..nothing came out, so I do not think the crankcase is full of gas. I am stumped, anybody with any insight as to what I am missing here?? I am not new to sleds or 2-stroke engines, but this thing has me scratching my head.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man !! I am having same problem almost. Mine will stumble, but die just as quick! I ran great for three days, left grip heater failed same day as it quit on trail. Had issue with throttle stop during that trip, but managed until it quit running all together. Had no spark at all. Brought it home, replaced throttle stop, and then it started firing, but like I said ..quit just as fast. After pulling it like that for a minute or two, it will quit firing again, until it cools off...what ever that is that is...that is cooling off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a hold of the wrong book. it should be 160. primary side of the ignition coil should be .30 and secondary with caps on should be 18,500.
Come again?

Everything I have shows 160 +/-20% which is like 128ish to 190ish.

I think I may try advancing the timing a little and see...it is set to factory spec, but due to everything else testing out correctly it is really the only thing that can be adjusted that has any affect on it firing I dunno

1 - 5 of 5 Posts