Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, looking for some advice.

Purchased a 2000 triple touring (600) with 1200 miles on it. I do not have any expierance with this engine. It is completely stock.

Are there any service bulltins on the engine that I should be aware of? Any weird and wonderful things that are paticular to this engine that I should be on the look out for?

I have an 02 Pantera and it runs like a top. I dont want to get stuck with my kids on the side of the trail with this 600 if I can help it.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Ben

·
Registered
44 Posts
In my opinion these triples are bullet proof.I have had 5 now and not one bit of engine trouble.There are other issues though.Electric start sucks.Also check all your coolant hoses and use pieces of an old hose to act as scuff pads where you find the hoses rubbing.Use electrical ties to hold the scuff pads on.A good idea is to take up the practise of checking hoses and fuel lines now and then as things are crammed in there very tight.I had a 2001 touring and other than being tooooooo long for me it was an awesome sled.One nice feature it had which I don't beleive your 2000 model has is the removalble two up seat.It was great for hauling supplies.Another thing with these sleds is that they are very clutch friendly.Depending on how many miles are on the sled you should create yourself a base line by having all bearings checked and clutches on top of the earlier items mentioned.Good luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much.

Excellent advice. I just had it out tonight. It ran great. So much different than my 02 Pantera. Much much smoother motor for sure.

And yes you are right the 2000 does not have the removable seat. I think that came in for the 2001 model year because my 02 has it.

Great feature for sure. I remember talking to a fella on a lake with one of these and he said the electric start was crap too.

Any ideas what the problem is with the electric start? Is it the starter motor itself or the bendix?

Any thoughts on fuel economy?

Again thanks for the info.

Ben

·
Registered
44 Posts
The starters them selves are no good and also the vibration shakes it either off or apart.I removed my starter from my 2001 touring and had it rebuilt and then put it in storage until I was ready to sell the sled .As far as gas milage goes they are not super but over the past years I have ran with alot of 580 cat twins and they were monsters on gas compared to the triple.Last winter I ran dollar for dollar with a skidoo 600 triple and we ran hard.There a good sled but preventitive maintenance is the answer to most problems on all sleds.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I never really had problems with the starter motor, usually it was the solenoid located under the battery tray that took a dump.

Trailside electric start failure, anger management steps!
#1 Loosen/remove the battery hold-downs
#2 Raise the battery approx. 2-3 inches from the bottom of tray
#3 Let go of the battery, let it gently smack the bottom of the tray
#4 Tighten/re-install the battery holddowns
#5 Use the electric start as intended or until the next the solenoid doesn't wish to function properly! bang your head

1 - 5 of 5 Posts