Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 pantera 1000cc. Does anyone own one of theses sleds? Bought it used 2 yrs. ago and noticed the rear seems to be boncey. Lots of spring pressure under there. It has a FX Ryde rear shock on it. I understand they are non-rebuildable. Any suggestions? New one? Aftermarket one? Anybody?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the same sled. I replaced my shocks all the way around with new ones. Made a great improvement. I'm sure yours is shot. Mine was shot! Only 2000 miles also...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just checked my triple touring 600 (2000).

It is very bouncy too with lots of spring pressure to.

I think your shock is good, mine is fine. You will know when you ride it, if it bottoms alot and hits back hard on the way up then you will need to replace it.

Ryde FX (the stock shock) is a very good shock, you wont go wrong replacing your old Ryde FX with a new one.

Ben

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You do have your overload springs turned down? right? These sleds do have alot of backlash/return spring pressure. It is sometimes comparable to a bull ride! I'd suggest changing shocks to a better quality shocks if the $$ isn't a issue. I met up with a guy in the U.P. last year and he told me that they added the A.D. kit to their 2-up and it made a world of difference all the way around.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
A.D. BOIVIN'S ETS SUSPENSION/COUPLING KIT. All the big parts companies used to sell them, high perf. engineering, dennis kirk etc. You can find stories on the web of what the kit will do for your suspension. Make sure you get the kit for your 136" set-up. I believe they're right around a $100 "US" if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has approx. 1500 original miles on it. I'm the second owner. The springs are jacked and maybe if I turn them down a bit it will help the wife out. Can I check the shock by taking it out and compressing and expanding it?

And no as a matter of fact I don't have the overload springs turned down. I didn't think this would make any difference on the shock action. This 2-up sled and sledding is all new to me. How much should I turn them down? They seem to be almost all the way up and the 3 position black plastic piece is also all the way up to the highest setting. I weight 230 dressed and the wife is (approx.)-"playin' it safe here"- If ya know what I mean, is 120 dressed. The A.V. BOVIN'S kit sounds real good too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I just blew out my ride f/x shock and broke the bolt on The rods running along the sides of the shocks. Sled is a 2002 pantera 800. My ridding buddy owns a 2005 550 pantera. After looking his rear suspension setup over. I have ordered all the upgraded componants for my sled that I have found on his, bigger shock, stronger flat stock instead of rods. bumpers and stops not included on mine . Will let you know how everything turns out

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Bet you it feels a bit tippy in the corners too (if you have good carbides). When I got mine the front arm rear suspension spring was wound near the top. I wound it down until there were only a few threads showing and dropped the helper springs out and set the spring adjuster blocks to position 2 (200LB dressed). Then it was a bit soft and pushed in the corners. I tightened it up a few turns and it is just about right. When the wife rides I leave the helper springs out (she is 105 dressed) and it is still good. Bottoms occasionally on bigger bumps but absorbs most.
The helper springs are #40 below and they are engaged by #23 very bottom pic

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All I did was adjust the 3 position black plastic adjuster block from the highest to the lowest position and this makes all the difference in the world. I left the helper springs alone. Thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts