Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 300 4/4 quad that is incredibly hard to start. I have to turn it over for 2 or 3 minutes before it even starts to fire. I've found that if i blow air into the snorkle with my air compresor it helps and will start easyer. I have completely cleaned out the carb several times and nothing has changed. I have checked all the gaskets and intake boots and all are in good shape. Im not finding any reasons for it to be acting this way. Another problem its having is the idle is always going up and down. Im always having to adjust it. Its a huge pain in the ass and girlfriend, daughter and I want to ride and its not happening the way its running. Any one have any ideas? :wacko:

·
Banned
2,228 Posts
Clean the air filter.

·
Administrator
35,854 Posts
Spray starter fluid around the carb if it revs up you have an air leak.Check your valves for proper adjustment.lastly check/clean your carb and adjust the float.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have sprayed starting fluid around the carb and intake boot no leeks. As i said in origonal post the carb is clean and adjusted. I will check the valves. Thanks for the input. :thumbguy:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Spray starter fluid around the carb if it revs up you have an air leak.Check your valves for proper adjustment.lastly check/clean your carb and adjust the float.
It always makes me nervous when I see the recommendation to use starter fluid. One stray spark from a disconnected or bad spark plug wire could result in a HUGE fireball engulfing the ATV and person testing. I'm actually quite surprised we've haven't read about that happening yet. Not sure what it is, but there got to be a safer way of checking for manifold leaks.

·
Administrator
35,854 Posts
We should all be grateful to have WYO on here.This is a very good point and I certainly would not want to see anyone get hurt.If anyone has a better way to check for manifold leaks that is not quite so dangerous , please chime in. I personally will stop using this method.Thanks Wyo

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
We should all be grateful to have WYO on here.This is a very good point and I certainly would not want to see anyone get hurt.If anyone has a better way to check for manifold leaks that is not quite so dangerous , please chime in. I personally will stop using this method.Thanks Wyo
Just something to think about. I got to admit the method works and works well. It is something you'd not want to do in a closed shop or on a calm day. I suppose a person could be upwind in a small breeze outside and have a fire extinguisher handy and be completely safe.

Common sense applies too, you sure wouldn't want to dump a whole can on it, it takes just a tiny squirt to tell a difference. Ether evaporates very quickly and disperses into the surrounding air and a can of it sprayed in a closed in shop or garage may create a BOMB looking for a source of ignition. <grin> Stay in the shop too long after copious amount sprayed and you may get quite happy too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Arctic Cat 300 4/4 quad that is incredibly hard to start. I have to turn it over for 2 or 3 minutes before it even starts to fire. I've found that if i blow air into the snorkle with my air compresor it helps and will start easyer. I have completely cleaned out the carb several times and nothing has changed. I have checked all the gaskets and intake boots and all are in good shape. Im not finding any reasons for it to be acting this way. Another problem its having is the idle is always going up and down. Im always having to adjust it. Its a huge pain in the ass and girlfriend, daughter and I want to ride and its not happening the way its running. Any one have any ideas? :wacko:
Check the compression. My cat was doing the same has the snorkel as well

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to clear up the problem with the hard start issue. The valves needed adjustment. The intake valve wasn't closing all the way and was affecting compression. Thank you everyone that posted ideas to help on this issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts