Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all new here second post. Im new to ATV world have been a sled and motocycle guy for years but new to ATV. Just bought a 2000 Arctic Cat 500 4x4 auto. Did my normal start up maintenance checks and before I open belt housing up to place a new belt on I wondered if I have other issues due to a noise I hear.

Its a 2000 with 1050 miles on it. It is in good shape appears to have been well taken care of. Everything works on it, oil is good. I bought new oil filter plug and a belt to start the season just to ensure all that potential stuff is working good whether it needed it or not.

Problem I took for test ride all fine but a slight noise from belt housing at idle and as I start to move. it is a kind of a small winne not a metal on metal squeak but a subtle rubbing and does not sound like a rubber belt. Could it be a thrust bearing? or just corrosion built up on clutch disks? Im wondering if it is a bearing starting to go.

I plan on opening up case and replacing belt not that it appears it needs it just to do so I know I have a fresh one for me. When I open it up while im there if it is potentially a bearing I may as well do it while im in I figure. Any thoughts on the origin of a winne at neutral and louder and faster as you accelerate?

·
Registered
656 Posts
The belt drive by nature does whine. You may be experiencing something completely normal. Hard to say without hearing it.
As for the belt, at 1000 miles I wouldn't waste money on a belt unless I was suspicious that it had been slipped frequently in the past. I just changed the one on my 06 at 7000 miles.
As you can see, it is barely worn at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
The belt drive by nature does whine. You may be experiencing something completely normal. Hard to say without hearing it.
As for the belt, at 1000 miles I wouldn't waste money on a belt unless I was suspicious that it had been slipped frequently in the past. I just changed the one on my 06 at 7000 miles.
As you can see, it is barely worn at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yah might not look worn however it is very worn....the spec is 1mm wear any more then that is replacement time

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks 82F and Savage man, The winne or more like sheee sheee when at idle almost like a brake pad draggging on a rotor sound but not metalic. (and it is comming from trany belt box area so I know its not a rotor plus its at stop in neutral as well as in drive moving) I had two friends who dont know much about working on anything with there rides right there and theres did not make the sound and they identified it as unusual. I agreed it did have a strange sound that did not go away even when power put to it and I started rolling. I was not sure if it was just oxidization on pressure plates rubbing on belt since it sat all winter. Would clutch shaft bearing make a non metalic winne or shee shee sound if it was dry and starting to wear out? Im hoping just not broke in enough this season and maybe belt which is original and now 13 years old even with 1000 miles maybe the problem with oxidization on plates rather then bearing?
Rags

Edit in: I wil tear it open this weekend and get back with some photos and what I see. Maybe just a good clean new belt and off we go no noise. Thanks all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.