Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and have some questions. First let me give you a little history on the bike. My father purchased this bike new in 2000 and rode it for about 6 months. Unfortunately he passed away. The bike set for about two years being ridden once in a while. I took the bike to Florida where I rode it some for 4 years. I moved to Tennessee in July where I now ride a little more and hope to ride a whole lot more. One day in November I went out for a short ride to look over the property, nothing hard or fast. When I got back to the house I parked it in the garage, went back out about two hours later and it was leaking gas out of the carb over flow. I thought well the float is sticking because it has set a lot and just needs the carb cleaned. I opened the carb up to find it was very clean but I cleaned the carb any way, put it back together and about an hour it was leaking again. I took it back apart again and replaced the float valve, drained the tank thinking it may have some junk in it getting stuck in the float valve and holding it open just a little. Got it put back together and it still leaked. I took it back apart lowered the float a lot, to the point if you run it wide open it will suck the bowl dry, it still leaked so I got another float valve and installed it thinking maybe I got a bad one from new, it does happen, it leaked again. At this point I am out of ideas. Has any one else had this problem?
Also this thing revs slow and seems to run a bit rich, has anyone put a jet kit in this engine and was it better?
Also as long as I have had it the fan runs anytime the key is on. Is this normal? Or does it have a thermostat somewhere that turns it on and off.
2000 Arctic Cat 500 Auto Red.

Thanks
Brian
2000 Arctic Cat 500 Auto Red.

·
Registered
15 Posts
you might want to check the actual fuel line mine started leaking a couple weeks ago and it looked just like it was leaking from the overflow. it was just a bad line. if it isnt take the bottom of the carb off blow thru the line and raise the float if you cant blow thru it that isnt your problem either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just wondering at what you found. I have the same problem on my 2000 and with the price of gas, it hurts. It seems to me that AC would be concerned with this issue. leaking fuel over a hot engine !!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
What assembly are you finding that temp switch? I've had this problem since new and never thought twice about it... My confidence in AC is slowing going downhill. I've been riding Cats for over 30 years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I downloaded a manual for the 2000 500 auto. The fan is wiring directly to a power source and will come on when the key is in run mode. It wouldn't be that difficult to wire into the water temp indicator.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
My 500 is leaking intermittently this spring. From my experience, it is the float valve. Gas turns to deposits and coats everything. Most likely, the needle is hanging in its port, which is cruddy. The solution is a thorough cleaning of the carb, to include all jets, ports, and orifices. If you miss one, the machine will tell you. I did a friend's machine this spring, and a casual cleaning wasn't enough. I had to disassemble everything. You were on the right track w/ the float valve replacement, but most likely its seat is filthy. This is just a hazard of old gas. Now I just need to take the time to fix mine.

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK ...I know this is a very old post but would like to contribute my .02
With these carbs you can't replace the float valve seat, but a method I've used in the past, and just today works well.

Use a Q tip in your drill and put a very small amount of metal polish on it.....run it in your drill up and down the sides of the brass seat, and also against the hole where the fuel comes in. Use several q-tips and repeat the polishing a few times until your satisfied the seat is nice and clean. The brass parts should look nice and shiny now, and very smooth.
Take a look at the protruding sides of the float needle as well, they can get ridges from vibration over time and may need some cleanup with 600 grit paper.....or just replace the thing.
This is a low buck way to fix up the one major problem with these carbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts