Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI. searched for this but did not find too much. I have a 2000 500 4x4 automatic wiith only 351 miles. I was plowing snow when it stalled and would not re-start. I pulled the plug and checked for spark. When cranking it initially fires but then will not fire agian until the starter disengages. When I use the pull start it acts the same way. The battery condition is good. I have tried a new plug and it reacts the same. I have checked most of the wiring and found it to be in good shape. I suspect the cdi or some component of the electrical system. Even when it does fire it seems too weak. Anybody have any ideas for testing it further. Thanks. Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. When it first died and would not re-start the battery did run down. When the battery was fairly weak I observed it sparking regularily (plug pulled). Charged up the battery, same weird condition of initial spark, then no spark till just as you let off cranking. I suspected possible low voltage but even while boosting with another known good atv battery it did'nt help. I would also think if it were a voltage issue it should spark much better while pull starting, but it did not. I will go down your list of possible failures as best I can. Richard.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
The battery shouldn't effect the spark, since the ATV will run without the battery beign installed unless the charging system is faulty.
I'd look into getting a service manual or call the local dealer and ask for the spec peak voltage numbers for the coil, regular and cdi harness.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i beg to differ gfc. cdi i believe has to see volts (even if minimum) before allowing full spark, at least on my v2. for kicks i think that i might try to start with the batt unhooked this weekend, might be different with the copperhead.
it is similar to the tip sensor on the v2's, if tipped cuts volts and doesn't allow the cdi to provide spark.

on older machines i think that you are correct but newer ones could be either way imo.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kevinbender0311 @ Feb 3 2007, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i beg to differ gfc. cdi i believe has to see volts (even if minimum) before allowing full spark, at least on my v2. for kicks i think that i might try to start with the batt unhooked this weekend, might be different with the copperhead.
it is similar to the tip sensor on the v2's, if tipped cuts volts and doesn't allow the cdi to provide spark.

on older machines i think that you are correct but newer ones could be either way imo.[/b]
I dont know if your 650 V2 will run without the battery due to the exelctric fuel pump, though it still may without any other accessories running. Give it a try though I'd like to hear what it will do.
I do know that my DVX and honda will both run without the battery even installed, never tried the ol'mans P650 before. But I would think that turboincanada's 2000 500 should still run and spark without the battery.
Another possiblility, thought I doubt it, is that possibly some snow got into a conection and got it wet, do you have a heated garage you can put it in to melt it out and dry out turbo?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
never though about the fuel pump but i would be just courous to see if there is spark without the batt. at work today but mabey in the morning i'll get to mess with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I have heat in my garage. I had it toasty warm in there, going over the elec. I keep thinking it is linked to how it first stalled. I was plowing snow and gave it a pretty good jolt as I was making a large pile. It has never stalled before. Thats why I suspect an electrical connection or component. Kind of frustrating. I've chased automotive electrical ghosts before, you feel like an idiot until you find it.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris500 @ Feb 3 2007, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i am guess more of the coil is my bet on that one because of the spark is week[/b]
That is what I am thinking is the problem as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (turboincanada @ Feb 3 2007, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes I have heat in my garage. I had it toasty warm in there, going over the elec. I keep thinking it is linked to how it first stalled. I was plowing snow and gave it a pretty good jolt as I was making a large pile. It has never stalled before. Thats why I suspect an electrical connection or component. Kind of frustrating. I've chased automotive electrical ghosts before, you feel like an idiot until you find it.[/b]
Having it quit from the jolt kinda makes me think that there is possibly some bare wires and the jolt ccaused them to hit together?? Or maybe it was just a fluke that it stalled when you hit the bank. There are ways to test the coil with a multi-meter, if you cant find anything wrong with the wiring harness or connections. Good luck, I for one hate electrical problems bang your head

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will get back to it the first of this week. I have been taking a break from it hoping a fresh start will help. Thanks for the input everybody. Will let you know what it is when I find it. Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts