Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Making an attempt to change the clutch after adjustments failed. I’m no atv mechanic but trying to learn.

I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions but for starters: Does anyone know how this stud is removed? Pretty sure the cover isn’t going back on with it in place. I assumed it was threaded but won’t budge. The service manual just says remove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Finally got the stud to come out. Rebuilt the secondary clutch, put it all back together, and the same problem exists. The primary clutch looked to be in good condition, better than the used units on ebay.

Anyone know of another issue that might mimic a slipping clutch? I remember reading about some shift cable and fork issues but can’t find the info now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This thread might be old, but you may find it helpful with your clutch concern.

·
Administrator
37,319 Posts
Is this a manual or auto ?

·
Administrator
37,319 Posts
So when you say primary , do you mean the starter clutch? Secondary are you referring to the clutch packs ?

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Did you try adjust it after the new clutch pack install?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you try adjust it after the new clutch pack install?
Yes. The story of how this started is, it was running though all gears but if I got into the throttle you could feel it slipping and no acceleration. I then adjusted the clutch (which I had done successfully a couple years prior) and lost everything, it just catches a little in 1st.

That led me to believe it needed a new clutch pack. I now have the same thing with the new clutch pack, barely moves only in 1st.

The manual says turn the set screw clockwise till it stops and back off 1/8 turn. If I turn it in that far the shifter pedal won’t even move. I’ve tried to back it all the way off and take it in in increments of 1/8 turn and no change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
This has got me. I know for the 400 it has specs on the 4 springs on the clutch pack but I can’t find that for the 300. If clutch pack is new and adjustment is done by the book as you have noted, I can only think that the starter clutch shoes are no good.
What oil are you running in it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This has got me. I know for the 400 it has specs on the 4 springs on the clutch pack but I can’t find that for the 300. If clutch pack is new and adjustment is done by the book as you have noted, I can only think that the starter clutch shoes are no good.
What oil are you running in it?
Valvoline 10 40 ATV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Well we know it’s not the oil.

·
Administrator
37,319 Posts
The starter clutch must be slipping.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Their instructions for adjusting the clutch are somewhat vague. When they say stop, they mean when the adjuster screw gets tension. Unscrew the screw out until it is super loose and then spin it in until you feel a small amount of tension and then back it off 1/8 turn. The screw should move freely at this point and not have any resistance on it at this point. If you turn it until it actually stops, the adjustment screw is way too tight and it's actually holding the disks apart and it won't move.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally some success. I hadn’t read or seen anything about soaking the new clutch plates until after the install, so I thought great probably smoked the new parts. I decided to let it idle in neutral for a half hour hoping everything might get lubed. Then I took the set screw back out and started adjusting again. It grabbed immediately and is working fine now.

Not sure if the idle time helped or if i had the set screw too far in to start.

Matt your adjustment procedure is spot on. The manual is misleading when it says “turn to stop” . Especially for a rookie that hasn’t wrapped his head around how the clutch works yet.

Thank you all for the help

·
Registered
10,512 Posts
Good to hear!

Thanks Matt193 for the information. I have updated my service manual with better instructions

·
Registered
2003 300 4x4
1 Posts
I'm actually having almost the exact same problem. I've gotten as far as trying to pull the right side cover off to see how it looks inside. Did you have to remove the bolt that looks like it goes through the started to remove the cover?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts