Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats a better deal......2015 ZR5000 with 2500 miles, or 2015 ZR6000 with 4600 miles?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
as well as how much you like to work on sleds or NOT
both are 5+ yr old sleds and pending care and how stored all could have small to large issue's
all might need some work, sleds are wear and tear toys like it or not
more miles, , more things have the odds of needing replaced?

but HOW the old owner took care of something is a BIG part of any machine(where ridden HOW ridden, how PM's were done or NOT and so on)

so cannot go by miles alone or age

a good inspection of each will tell more than the above does IMO< IF you know what to look for

·
Registered
144 Posts
X2 what mrbb said.

I have both and will NEVER buy a used 4-stroke again. They are great if you buy new and take care of them, but an absolute nightmare if the previous owner did not take care of the machine.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
X2 what mrbb said.

I have both and will NEVER buy a used 4-stroke again. They are great if you buy new and take care of them, but an absolute nightmare if the previous owner did not take care of the machine.
that honestly goes for 2 strokes too, all the more so as the miles add up on them! top ends are basic PM's on a two stroke at some point, compression test should be started IMO, once you get near that 6,000 mile mark, all the more so if been beat on hard! IMO!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bought a 2006 T660 Turbo with 1600 miles for the wife. Previous owner let it overheat and warped the head. Had a horrible time getting the timing right, so had to pull the motor 4 times before it was correct. I can work on nearly everything on my MC800 without pulling the motor. On the T660, it's a 2 day job just to adjust timing.

I enjoy working on sleds, but the T660 almost went to the dump because it's a nightmare to work on.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
I have both a 4 stroke and 2 stroke. My 4 stroke is a 660 turbo I bought new and love it. I’ve only adjusted valves and done regular maintenance you would do on any sled. If you don’t put a lot of miles each year, go 2 stroke. Lately I’ve only put 2-300 miles a year on my 4 stroke but change oil every two years. I only bought my 4 stroke as Cat discontinued the Pantera 600 2 stroke in 05. My choice in 06 was a fan or the 660. There was no other liquid cooled 2 stroke in a 2up sled.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advise. I ended up buying the 2 stroke. I cant believe the difference in power. I punched the throttle and lifted the skis off the ground. I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts