Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help with a old 73 cheetah 400 kawa motor. Ran great last year after i rebuilt the carb, and resealed the engine including crank seals. This year wont run. Starts, runs great for a minute and just flat out dies and wont resart. Gets fuel, not loosing spark. Compression is 130psi PTO side and 85psi MAG side. Is this symptoms of low compression in that cylinder? I mean its low i know that, but it was low last year and ran great! I know i have some scoring and damage in that cylinder but its really not any lower than last year. When trying to restart it will backfire and spit sometimes, and may restart but usually will not. Any idea's??

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Will it start again if you squirt a little fuel in the cylinder ?

·
Registered
477 Posts
compression is your problem. You are right on the edge. I have heard that most engines wont run under 90 psi. I have a 75 Lynx that I kept having trouble starting, it had 90 psi on one side. Or maybe check it with another comp tester.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Center seal? Didnt get one with the kit i used. Didnt have the crankcase apart either, i imagine this seal keeps the 2 sides seperated in the crankcase?

Yes did try adding a little fuel to the cyls when trying to restart, didn help at all. Carb working fine as far as i can see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm sorry it took so long to get back with you. I had the same problem you're having. My kit didn't come with one either. I talked to a very knowlegable Cat mechanic and he turned me on to a place called cbperformanceparts.com. He also informed me that you should not beat the crank oilseals on. Instead, split the case replace the centerseal, PTO seal, and Mag seal all at the same time. This did the trick. The old cat runs excellent. I hope this will help you out. :super_happy: :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts