Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'd like to say what's up to everyone I'm new to this site and proud to say I'm finally Cat guy as of a few weeks ago when I bought a used 04 F7 sno pro EFI.
I'm a Professional Landscaper and recently found out that the two companies I deal with Shindaiwa and Stihl came out with these 2 and 4 cycle hybrid engines. They have all the internal parts of a four stoke but it takes 50:1 gas mix. I had the chance to use some of the equipment and it impressed me. Light weight powerful and fuel eficient. I was just thinking they might come out with something like this for snowmobiles. If they do I think Cat and the Doos will be the first to tinker around

what do you guys think

·
Registered
677 Posts
hmm it seams interesting.... would like to see this in action.... what kind of equipment are you using??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Backpack blowers and weedwackers as far as engine sises go 22cc's up to about 60cc's. Haven't actually puchased one yet but I tried them out for a day. After talking to reps, the companies are said to put a lot of effort into this tech so I guess we will be hearing more about it

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
What would the benefit be to this type of design? What keeps the valve train lubed up if the oil is in the fuel mixture? Basically they are a 4-stroke motor the runs on premixed gas, if I understand right I dunno

They sound interesting, can you find any info about the new motors on-line??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rep I talked to really wasn't that helpful in describing how it all worked. you can check it out at Shindawa.com called C4 I tried posting a link it just didn't work

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scrat600 @ Jan 3 2007, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds kinda hokey. Do you manually oil the rockers like on the old train engines?[/b]
not hokey,, reciprocating components (crank, rods, lower piston skirts) all are lubed via oil in bottom end of crankcase,, there are no rockers, it's a 2 stroke, only they rely on direct injection of not only fuel into the middle cyl area to avoic lowers oil,, but air is also taken in somewhere around there, Walbro has been working on this concept in the auto industry for approx 8-10 yrs now in hopes of getting the power of a 2 stroke along with the emmissions/longer engine life of 4 stroke,, time will tell how it works out,,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts