Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added a 2 degree timing key to a stock Tcat? I'm wondering what the results are to doing such a thing to a basic trail sled.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do not advance the timing if you want to run 87 octane gas. If you do, it will detonate and destroy the pistons and heads. I run 87 octane because you cannot always find premium when touring.

BP

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
what about when guys use the 93 TCAT cdi box.. that has more aggressive and maybe more overall timing? is this true, is this why they use it???

·
Registered
51 Posts
I havn't played much with 93 CDI's i just picked one up about 3 weeks ago, I tryed it on one of my friends thunder cats, With the 93 cdi it was more snappy and seamed to have a better midrange and bottom end. But when we went to the radar runs it would run slower in 2000 feet with the 93 cdi vs the 99 cdi box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HyperFlow @ Mar 15 2007, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I havn't played much with 93 CDI's i just picked one up about 3 weeks ago, I tryed it on one of my friends thunder cats, With the 93 cdi it was more snappy and seamed to have a better midrange and bottom end. But when we went to the radar runs it would run slower in 2000 feet with the 93 cdi vs the 99 cdi box.[/b]
Just wondering if changing the timing keys or cdi's are you still using your old clutch setups or are you adjusting for the new conditions. I would think that by the changes the clutch setups would also need to be adjusted. How are you finding the sled feels on top end? Are the rpm's where they should be or do they seem to drop? With the timing key or cdi change you may find that you will need to raise your top end rpm. Just a thought...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its not enought power diffrence to change clutching. I never drove the sled with the 93 cdi, just the owner of the sled. He couldn;t really tell a diffrence in the radar runs. Just when he would drive the sled around it would be a lil more throttle responsive.

If theres a 2hp gain its nice, If you clutch for a 2hp gain well your more hardcore then me :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do we know what year of Tcat??? When I bought my 2000 Tcat everyone told me to put in the 2* key and I did.3 years now on reg gas and 3000 miles.But I could not tell you if it made a diff because the only way is if someone did the mod at a dyno shop same day and then the prove would be there.Who knows the facts out there or were to look because if I'm losing top end well them I will take it out. But first SOMEONE in the know please jump in.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 2000 T-Cat, stock motor, with a 2 degree timing key with 87 octane, it was dynoed 10 times in a row, with the 2 degree key, not with the stock one though. I have trail rode this sled and i asphalt race this sled with the same setup. hp 174 rpm 8400. It has never back fired or detonated what so ever. I dont ride in minus degree weather though. I have the parts to install the 93 igintion on my sled and plan to run it on the dyno this summer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When that happens please post your finding ,I think that type of info is invalueble. I find it a little odd how I can find dyno info on all kinds of sleds ,which mods work and how much, step by step hop ups yet this "old tripple" is a big mystery. The only good info I ever found is old 1010 and 900 at DynoTec, like no one else put a Tcat on there dyno after 95.

·
Registered
186 Posts
LOL sure. I'm only installing the 93 ignition so i dont need the TPS. I'm not even really doing it for the hp gains, if there is any. The info is out there somewhere, some shops have either forgotten about it, or thrown that info out, or flat out dont want to say anything about it. Some of it is just in part of the new twins, all the attention has gone to those sleds obviously. I've noticed when it comes to T-Cats, some people will not talk about it...........Not sure why. Must be a big secret. If you have a chance to dyno your sled i would do it, the info is worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes and no.........I just dont like the TPS on the the T-Cat, if they go bad they wont let the engine rev out, and the only thing wrong is the sensor went bad, at least if a CDI or coil goes out it just wont run. I also dont like adjusting the timing with a key, i like the old school stator plate adjustment for timing, 3 screws and go right or left. I know some guys with actually cut out the plastic on the part of the stator where it mounts, so they dont have to use a key. To me theres more adjustment with the old style. I race and trail ride. If you want to install a 93 ignition just for the hp gains, not sure if its worth it, if your just trail riding then leave it alone, look else where for some more hp. On a stocker 2 degrees is about all you really want to go. Dont forget, 93 T-Cat and 2000 T-cat are 2 very different sleds, going to a 93 igintion will require some reclutching and probably some jetting.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
what is so special about the 93 ignition?? why do people talk about it vs the newer ones??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts