Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in Old Forge, NY Friday and Saturday. On the first day we did 155 miles. I got 17 mpg on the first tank of fuel. The second tank I got 15.5 because I started running it harder. That was the good part. Before I went I put my Simmons ski's on and what a mistake that was. When I got home my whole upper body hurt. The sled was so hard steering that I couldn't wait to get home. On the morning of Saturday I installed my C&A Razor's with 7.5 inch Shapers on it and what a difference that made. I am running 144 1.175 studs on it. The steering was easy and it handled like a dream. With the Simmons on all it wanted to do was push in the corners. The aren't the ski for me!! I must say that my 2007 F1000 LXR had a more plush ride but until everything is settled in my new sled might loosen up some. I do have one question for you though, "What kind of spring length are you running on the front shocks?" Mine seems to want to roll in the corners just a bit. The other thing I have to say about the sled is that it pulls really nice when you start throttling it. I thought I would miss the power of the F10 but this is the perfect sled for all conditions. I only played with it to 80 mph as of now. What will this sled do on top speed?

Dave

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WOW........It's hard to believe that no one can give me an idea on the shock/spring length. Maybe it's just too early in the season for some to give a good response but any help would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good morning Z1 Dave. Did you like how the motor ran? Was it quit & smooth running? Going down
the trail did seem to handle pretty good? Did it feel heavy at all or, was it ok?

Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
411 Posts
Z1 Dave we should me up sometime to ride up in old forge ...I ride a 07 Z1 and my buddy rides the 09 Z1 LXR...as for the length...I will get back to you have to measure...and gotta love old forge...as for the top speed...with 2200 miles on mine...100 MPH...pretty much max for this sled...will stock...sled doesn't really wake up till 1200 miles though...as for 75Cheetah...the sled is very quiet and handles like a dream...its a point and shoot sled once its studded and new carbides are put on...the motor is a dream again...very calm and smooth...when I was in old forge the other day a gentleman came up to me and asked about the Z1...he just came off the F10 and was wondering about the Z1...gave him mine to ride and spoke about how the sled wakes up after 1200 miles...and yes it feels like it has a boat anchor on it till you get the engine broken in...but fun times after that...great sled

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kevin,

All I can say is that it was very smooth. It's a bit different getting used to the sound of the 4 stroke verses a 2 stroke. After coming off the F10 that shook all over the place. The power or maybe I should say the "torque" of this sled is really nice. It just bears down, grunts and goes very well. Like I said in the first post I wasn't at all happy with it until I put the Razors on it. Now it is a different machine and I am happier. All I have to do is make a few little adjustments and it will be perfect for my style of riding. It is a bit heavier than the F10 but I will overcome that. It's nothing to worry about. As of now I think I made a very good move buying this sled. On Friday (the 1st day out) I wanted my F10 back but that has since changed. All in all it's a very nice sled and has usable power for all conditions.

Dave

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi TB01,

Yes we'll have to meet up in Old Forge. I have a place right on 4th lake a mile south of Big Moose. I probably won't be there until after the New Year. I hope you like to ride because the guys I go with love to ride a 150-200 miles a day and they don't let grass grow under their feet. At times they have to wait for me but that's the difference in age LOL. I seemed to slow down a bit over the years but will still ride hard when the time is right. I'll wait for those measurements on the front shock springs from you.

Thank You,

Dave

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Z1 Dave, now that you officially have some miles on it, welcome to the Z1 club. The more I try out other peoples sleds, the more I like the Z1.
As far as the springs go, I don't remember the measurement, and I'm not near the sled, but I had counted the threads before, and it was 24 threads from the bottom of the shock, to the spring "nut".
The reason I counted them may sound silly, but if I had to check them away from home, I probably wouldn't have a tape measure with me.
By the way, my Z1 didn't loosen up till around 1,500 miles.
I was waiting for a report on the Razors, and that you're happy with them. I had heard that the Simmons made them very hard to steer, and was wondering how the Razors would compare.
If all goes as planned, I might get out New Years weekend for a 750 to 900 mile run.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Capt,

What I'm going to do is load the front shocks about an inch at a time until I get what I want. I do like when the inside ski is about 3-4 inches in the air when cornering. If it has too much bite I will later use 6" Shaper's. I think you can get away with carbides this short on this sled. I will let you know later how I make out. I'll be going next weekend to put some miles on it. I would love to see 4-500 miles with no problem.

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Z1 Dave @ Dec 21 2009, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
... I thought I would miss the power of the F10 but this is the perfect sled for all conditions.[/b]
Glad to hear the new sled is running great. I had a tough decision between the Z1 and TZ1 and I have the same experience as you with my TZ1. My 2 stroke 600HO has a strong acceleration and the power band snap that I thought I would miss but I actually like feel of the 4 strokes power curve and the slower touring is just excellent without going in and out of that power band.

I have not been to Old Forge yet but I got my permit and will be going there in January. Can you recommend a good to place to stay?

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'll get them figured out S&W. I lease a place up in Old Forge. The best I can say is either Christie's, the Blue Spruce (that's where I used to stay) or the Water's Edge (I think it's called) I had friends that stayed there and it was a very nice place. I'm going to love this new sled once I get the suspension the way I like it. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks, I will give Christies a try for mid-week prices. I have heard so much about Old Forge trails that I can't wait to get there. I went to Long Lake last year but the trails were not marked well or groomed at the time we went so I need a good ride in NY. I hope to get a long trip in VT from Woodford to Manchester on Tuesday and that should get me close to the 200 mile break-in and I can get used to the TZ1. We have not had enough snow around home to get much riding so I am trailering so far this year.

·
Registered
411 Posts
if you need a guide up there in old forge just give a holler via PM and I will be more than happy to show you around old forge...great place to ride

1 - 13 of 13 Posts