Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got out today on the RS edition I picked up at the end of November. Not a long ride... just shy of 50 miles, but it was a good 1st ride on it.

I'll start with the biggest positive, which most people are already aware of.... The Gen2 body is a huge step up from the previous body style. The obvious is how easy it is to remove / install the panels. Not obvious until you ride a Gen2 sled.... Wind protection seems better then the previous body, especially where the wind would always go around the headlight area and hit you in the waist .... what many claimed froze their "junk" .... I didn't notice any wind hitting my waist today, which I would have seen as it was zero or just below while riding. I did install the high accessory windshield for better wind protection directly at the driver. This was a very welcome addition, especially with today's temps. It was even noticeably better than the CrossTour windshield I have on my 18 8000 LTD 137 when switching between the 2 sleds. So I may be getting a second one for that sled too. Other Gen2 benefits -- The LED light is fabulous, although I have to adjust it on the RS as it's pointing a bit too high. And there is less hitting your knees on the console with the Gen2 also.

The shock package on the RS is great. The trails were mostly flat today, so not much to report yet on them other then we all know the QS3s are great, and the RS having the QS3-Rs in 3 positions and a QS3 front arm shock is just that much better. I will have some comments on the suspension itself later on....

The motor feels much more responsive in the RS than it did in my 14 RR. Not sure if it's the TEAM clutches, ECU program changes, or something else. I know Cat has done some internal changes over the past couple of years. The rev-limiter wasn't something I had on my 14 6RR, but we started in the twisties in the woods today, so it wasn't even an issue at all. Corner to corner acceleration is very good and quite responsive. Once we got to more open trails, I did some long pulls tonight. Even knowing it's still in partial break-in. Would jump immediately to 8000 and hold it there a bit before slowly creeping up to 8150. 90s were reached relatively quickly. But that was about all I was able to see for top end, but was also running out of room too. Did not check oil or gas usage but did not notice any excessive smoking, etc. Fuel gauge was till reading almost full after the 50-ish miles we did today

Coming off 137 skid sled for the past few seasons, I was hoping Cat had settled down the 129 skid with the lengthening of the front arm in the skid..... but it doesn't seem to be the case. Jumping from the RS 129 to the LTD 137, the 137 rides so much better. More planted. More secure feeling. The RS 129 still wants to pitch when cornering. A lot. So noticeably different than the 137 that I will be going thru the skid and see if I make some adjustments to get the 129 to ride like the 137. I'm hoping to take some pre-load out of the front arm spring and get more ride-in at the front arm. I'll report back once I get time to adjust and test different changes.

Overall, I feel the RS is an improvement in so many ways over the 16RR I had. With some time adjusting and tweaking, I'm hoping to be able to flatten the ride out. Otherwise, I know my wife will not like it coming off her twin spar that rides smooth and flat....

Attachments

Reactions: C-note

·
Super Moderator
8,314 Posts
Good review. I think the new clutches are some of the reason for the better throttle response. The tied made a huge difference on my 15. Just have to do some more tuning. It is almost there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for the review, I just picked up mine last friday. Expect to spend some serious time on it next weekend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice sleds. We just got new ones too and have the same feedback on the new chassis and clutches. We just got a zr sno pro and cross country limited

·
Registered
681 Posts
Completed the break in on my 018 6000. 230 miles. Quit smoking at 7 hours and seemed to get crisper. Mileage for yesterday was 14.5 mpg. Not much speed to be had as we had a bad wind that really messed with the open trails and lakes. Love the new clutching. Silky smooth. New body panels seem warmer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I have a 2015 zr6000 and it has 1550 miles on... thinking of trading it in on one of these but they would only give me 4200 for mine and I would be out 5400 is it worth it?? What are your thoughts

·
Registered
2020 ThunderCat, 2017 ZR 6000 Roger Skime
142 Posts
Just made a deal on one of these. Brand new in the crate. Can’t wait to try it next year. Anyone else have any reviews on this sled. Love to hear about them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got one for the wife right before Christmas. She has 800kms on it. Sled is excellent on fuel and oil. Fastest she’s ever ridden on the trails is with this sled. She nicknamed it the “snot rocket”. You’ll love it. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
This is the first sled where I haven't had to spend a huge amount of time tuning it to get the clutching, engine, and chassis the way I want it. It is the most refined sled out of the crate that I've ever owned. I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs., and for the first time the sled's stock calibration is perfect for me. I generally buy a new sled every couple of years and had a '12,'15, and three '17's in the ProCross chassis, and I am amazed at how well Cat has refined this chassis/ suspension combo. The '12 sucked, the '15 was much improved, the '17's are outstanding. I'm officially a huge fan of the QS3's. I am a touch over 2100 miles on my RS, and very pleased.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is the first sled where I haven't had to spend a huge amount of time tuning it to get the clutching, engine, and chassis the way I want it. It is the most refined sled out of the crate that I've ever owned. I'm 6'5" and 300 lbs., and for the first time the sled's stock calibration is perfect for me. I generally buy a new sled every couple of years and had a '12,'15, and three '17's in the ProCross chassis, and I am amazed at how well Cat has refined this chassis/ suspension combo. The '12 sucked, the '15 was much improved, the '17's are outstanding. I'm officially a huge fan of the QS3's. I am a touch over 2100 miles on my RS, and very pleased.
Awesome... Sounds like, I should have a great sled. I was looking at an 18 limited, but I got a better deal on the RS. I was thinking of snow checking but not really any great deals and the I don’t like the purple. I even thought about the new 600R from skidoo, but I don’t like the looks of the G4 and that motor is unproven. I really like my 4000 RR, but I need more power, but it will be good for my boy next year.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Great review. I'll be picking one up, new out of the crate, this Saturday also.
If my count is right, that makes 6 ZR6000RS's in this thread alone counting mine.
I thought these were to be a very limited production build.
How many ZR6000RS's were actually built?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great review. I'll be picking one up, new out of the crate, this Saturday also.
If my count is right, that makes 6 ZR6000RS's in this thread alone counting mine.
I thought these were to be a very limited production build.
How many ZR6000RS's were actually built?

Apparently 343... Roger got the first 1. AC took 2 and 3. The rest were allowed by dealers. Not all dealers got them... The one I am getting is 191.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I apologize if I'm about to hijack the thread but how many limiteds were made? And or how many ZR6000 El Tigre's were built?

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe the dealers can look up this info on build numbers. But the LTD and El Tigre models were not very limited as far as build numbers....LOTS were made

The Roger Skime is one of the lowest, if not the lowest, full line consumer production runs I know of. The 2000 ZR600 Millenium Edition was also very low, but I think that one had something like 750 unit made. Even the race sleds, which are built in very low numbers, have to have a minimum of 500 units made in order to be able to race them. SO the RS has even lower build numbers than the race sleds made each season

1 - 19 of 19 Posts