Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to get my 550 EFI out tonight for the first time. Everything started out great, did a little riding and decided it was time to fire up the grill. I shut the bike down, fired up the grill and jumped back on the grill.

Turned the ignition on, to the start button and the LCD screen went blank...nothing. I turned the key off, back on and the LCD display came back. I hit the starter and got a little crackle like the starter was trying to engage and then nothing. I checked fuses, battery charge and everything was good. I found that if rocked the bike back and forth it would fire. So it seems like I've got a loose connection somewhere.

Any ideas? Hoping I can track it down without having to go to the dealer. Glad I did a shake down run before taking it on a trip!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had a chance to get my 550 EFI out tonight for the first time. Everything started out great, did a little riding and decided it was time to fire up the grill. I shut the bike down, fired up the grill and jumped back on the grill.
Might wanna let 'er sit a couple hours until the beer gets outta yer system. HAHA. Just kidding, how was the ride on that grill? Did you check the batteries in the ignitor? Was the propane turned all the way on?
Lolz, for real man. I just had to do it.

Seriously though, rocking the ATV helped it 'fire' as you put it. Are you saying it was able to CRANK by rocking it, or it was cranking the whole time, and rocking it helped it to ignite? The term 'fire' is often too loosely misinterpreted. Cranking is what happens when you mash the button, and it will fire when the spark plug sparks and sound comes from the muffler.
By the way, DISCONNECT and CLEAN the battery connections ONE AT A TIME to make sure they are good. Make sure to tighten them fully, but not overtight. you shouldn't be able to turn the ring connectors around the screws if properly tightened.
Holler back, maybe I can help.

-CR

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did hit the spotted cow hard after putting the bike up...leaves a little room for error with typing!

Rocking the bike seemed to help get it to crank. Prior to rocking it I would either get nothing when I turned on the ignition or the LCD screen would come up and when I hit the started there would be nothing or short noise that sounded kind of like the starter trying to engage. If the screen came up blank, I could wait a few minutes, try again and the screen usually would come back on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would definitely check the battery connections one at a time as described earlier. Also, follow the ground wire down to where it attaches to the frame and make sure it didnt back off and come loose.

lastly, i would go around the bike and look for connectors, plugs, etc that may have come unplugged.
Has it been in storage for a while, and youre just taking it out?
Because rodents have been known to chew wiring even just during overnight storage. Literally, one day to the next!

-cr

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CR - I'll definitely check the battery connections, the ground wire and then check all the connectors and plugs to see if I can find something loose.

The bike is new, literally my first ride on it! I brought it home from the dealer a week ago and finally got a chance to take it out last night. I was bummed when it wouldn't start but still couldn't wipe the smile off my face from the ride I had just got done with. Hoping it something easy like a ground wire or a loose plug...we will see what I can figure out tonight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May have found my issue over my lunch break. I took the side panels off, turned on the ignition and nothing happened, no LCD screen, no fuel pump running, nothing. I started looking over the plugs/connectors and jiggling some wires and when I got to the ECU (not sure what Arctic Cat calls it) and jiggled it a bit the LCD screen fired up, fuel pump ran so I hit the starter button. The loud click/crackle noise I was hearing last night was coming from that ECU module. When I hit the starter button it clicked, and the LCD went blank. So I jiggled it again and was able to get the bike started.

I then unplugged the wiring harness from that module, inspected it and didn't see anything out of order, plugged it back in and was able to start it 4 or 5 times in a row without any issue.

Figures cross that was my issue and things just weren't seated properly from the factory. Hoping there isn't something wrong with the ECU itself.

Picture of what I'm calling the ECU and the wiring harness that I disconnected and re-connected...

·
Administrator
40,727 Posts
Di electric grease the pins

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do but first it's taking a trip back to the dealer. Still having issues and even after its started it doesn't want to come off idle. So hopefully I can get it to the dealer this weekend and have them sort out the issue.

Definitely takes the excitement out of a brand new ATV!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did a little more poking around this morning and turned out to be a loose connection on the positive battery terminal. Whew! I checked every other connection first like a fool.

Oh we'll, it's fixed, all connections are greased up with dielectric grease so she is ready for a ride.

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
Good deal. the battery gets hooked up at the dealership, usually.
The ECU ( yup thats what its called) can have a wire that isnt fully seated in the plug. Once you pull it out, look inside the plug to see if one or more of the "pins" isnt pushed all the way in. Or if you can pull one of the pins out of the connector by the wire. they should lock in..
Sounds like you have it under control. How do you like the 550?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably should have checked the battery terminals 1st but made the assumption (which turned out to be a poor one) that the dealer had snugged down the battery when they installed it. They prepped the bike the night before I picked it up. My guess is the postive battery terminal was finger tight, maybe the mechanic got interrupted while putting it on and simply forgot it wasn't snugged up. Either way, it's good to go now.

For the short ride that I took it on before it started acting up, I really liked the 550. I took it out to a buddies who has some property and gave it a decent workout. I did some low and slow crawling over some downed trees from the recent flood, hill climbing in low/high and two and 4 wheel drive (however I never needed the 4wd, just wanted to test it out). Seeing the hills that it climbed in 2wd, I can't imagine what this thing will go through in 4 wheel.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it so far. I've got a bigger ride planned the weekend of the 4th. My brother-in-law has some property with a bunch of trails and a couple creeks to play in. Planning on spending a couple days riding down there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts