Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I've been thinkin and reading everyone's input regarding engine mod's and performance upgrades for quite awhile now. Honestly though I still don't know which direction to head in when beginning to throw mods on my sled. I'm thinking a Boondocker fuel control would be the best bet for my first piece, as I'm considering adding Speedwerx's exhaust kit soon. The thing that stumps me still is clutching, just can't seem to fully figure it out especially riding the DD now.....So i guess what I'm asking is what do you guys all think would be the smartest directioin to head in to begin? I ride majority trail and some minor racing, and if there's a kicker with a decent landing you can definitely consider it being hit.

Thanks,
Mael

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Any mods that increase engine output power should be done first, then you re-calibrate clutching according to the power your modded engine is making.

If you don't plan on engine mods, easiest most cost-effective way is to get a reputable clutch kit known to work well.

:chug:

·
Registered
942 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A G @ Jan 17 2007, 06:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Any mods that increase engine output power should be done first, then you re-calibrate clutching according to the power your modded engine is making.

If you don't plan on engine mods, easiest most cost-effective way is to get a reputable clutch kit known to work well.

:chug:[/b]

I agree... if you plan on the motor wait on the clutches. :stop_nono:

Also, there are some inexpensive fixes for the suspension ... especially if your going to be hitting kickers. Not worthy: Anyway, check into a tunnel brace kit and inspect the TSL link for rubbing... both are inexpensive fixes for longevity. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree engine mods first. Anytime you modify air or exhaust you really should modify fuel to avoid meltdown. If you haven't study D&D Racings tech notes or give them a call, BMP is another good resource.

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, input greatly appreciated. As for clutching i won't be touching it until i have some more HP comin out of the engine. So would you guys suggest gettin the Boon box b4 anything else?

I'm also getting the tunnel brackets for sure as iwanna prevent this from happening. Sounds like some ugly horror stories out there.

I have been studying D&D's tech notes quite a bit, therefroe that's why i think it'd be in my best interest to get the Boon box first but just figured it'd make my decisions easier with some input from people who know a lot more about these mods than i do.

Again thanks everyone.

Mael

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL, good point Nunavut. Indeed I am, but i stilll want more power. It also gives me the knowledge for future reference. I dunno What else is there to do up here? This time of the year anyways...... :bang:

:chug:
Mael

·
Registered
524 Posts
Right now the things that would benifit you the most are studs, a clutch kit to pull that extra weight, a higher profile windsheild so you won't get frost bite and a 1,000,000 candle power flood lite with adapter...lol...

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
1. Clutch Kit - Transfer the power from engine to the track. Although cheaper in spending $, IMO. :thumbsup:

2. Studs - Others may like it since I don't like 'em myself. I dunno

3. Engine Mods - Most expensive to begin with. Why do engine mods first and do clutch work later ?...Doesn't make any sense to me. Best to do engine mods and clutch kit all at the same time to deliver lots power to the track. eekkk

·
Banned
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nunavut_Crossfire @ Jan 17 2007, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Right now the things that would benifit you the most are studs, a clutch kit to pull that extra weight, a higher profile windsheild so you won't get frost bite and a 1,000,000 candle power flood lite with adapter...lol...[/b]
ROFL. I lmfao at that Nunavut....too true tho LOL. Studs are en-route as we speak. Been a couple weeks since i ordered them, but we all know how our mail delivery is up here. As for clutching.... I dunno .Which kit would you guys recommend? It'll be better for me to just get a setup where i wouldn't have to do too many, if any, adjusting as I'm just learning about back/upshift and the different spring rates etc etc. Eventually I'll start playing with it but am almost too intimated after reading sooo many different posts regarding setups...So what ya guys think? Any good kits out there with the beginner in mind?

Thanks,
Mael

·
Registered
524 Posts
I heard good stuff about the D&D Racing shift assist for the secondary, it prevents the sping from binding (I think)....I'm looking at getting one of these.

Talk to the performance shops, give these guys a call...D&D Racing, Speedwerx & The Out Door Shop. They will be able to help you based on your riding preferences. See who will be able to give you the best service & tech support becuase where you live and your knowledge of clutches or should I say lack of?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey Mael

To clarify my earlier post... if you plan to do any motor work... you'll have to modify your clutches after it is completed.

When you start to mod your sled... pick an approximate total $ amount that you think you will spend.

Example... if you plan to spend $1000-1500.00 on mods start with what will give you the most bang for the buck.

1) Y pipe and regulator ... Minimum $ for the most HP gain adding a pipe, engine porting will increase hp more...
but it is important IMO to plan for the items below for total efficiency (Package)
Getting the power to the ground.

2) Studs, shocks, springs, etc... Traction and ride... power to the ground

3) Clutching... When above is done this will get your power to the track.
IF you clutch before you do the above... specs will change

Hope this gives you a few ideas.... LOL :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought the following clutch kits:

- Sledjunky's: It's a secondary team conversion. I'll be testing it next month.

- ODS clutch kit: It's on its way, just purchased it from Dan this week. One of my riding partners just bought it and is extremely happy with the peformance. He rides a tricked out F-7 and he said he noticed a significant difference!

- Currently, I testing an all cat setup, more to come on it by the end of next week. I'm testing it and dialing in my boondocker at the same time. My priority is the boondocker. I don't expect to fully test it until I have I get the pain in the butt boondocker spittin out the right numbers. Ride, stop, pull plugs, reset boondocker, ride, stop, pull plugs, on and on. I have to say, finally making pretty good progress. Trying to stay a little rich.

1. If you plan on installing a Boondocker in the future, skip the fuel regulator.

2. Some good mods are the D&D Pipe & Y Pipe, maybe a 2.5 degree timing key (if you install a 2.5 timing key, I think you'll have to use higher octane fuel), cylinder porting, etc, etc. If you have a EB XFire, you have 65/55 gears, I just dropped in 59/61 gears. Sweeet! The 65/55's are too tall IMO; wonder why cat put the 60/60 gears on for the summer production??? Because they know they screwed up with puttin F-7 gears on a crossover sled!!!!!! Pull your head out of your butt AC.

3. Once you start adding mods you'll need to manage your fuel. If you add a boondocker, you'll want to install EGT gauges so you can read your exhaust temps.

4. Once you start, the $$$ starts falling out of your wallet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts