Arctic Cat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Okay, $850 later I have a new clutch, new bearing, and my chassis has been reinforced with new rivets, bolts, etc. Took it out for the first time tonight, and it ran great and started on the 2nd pull (go nology wires!), but then the lights flickered and went out, and I have no headlight, dash lights, or taillight. So. Yeah.

Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
8,379 Posts
Okay, $850 later I have a new clutch, new bearing, and my chassis has been reinforced with new rivets, bolts, etc. Took it out for the first time tonight, and it ran great and started on the 2nd pull (go nology wires!), but then the lights flickered and went out, and I have no headlight, dash lights, or taillight. So. Yeah.

Ideas?

stator died

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me. Check the harness for broken wires, did the harness possibly rub on something?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Update: Does anyone have a link on how to test a voltage regulator? Hoping it's that, as it would be way easier to change than the stator.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
You want to test at the stator when running to see how much voltage you have. Rev it to about 3000 rpms to get max reading. Some may be as high as 30 volts. The voltage regulator should keep it down to around 12-13.5 if its good when plugged back in. Check this link out. Kinda long but well explained. Be sure the voltage regulator is grounded properly. If corrosion is present it may not work right.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
ALRIGHT ZOMBIE THREAD.

Here's what happened: After putting a ton of money/time/effort into this thing and having the clutch fail and the sled not move, spending even more money, and having the lights go out when I first tried to ride it, I was pissed. I got a new job, bought two newer 2007 4 stroke Jag Z1s, and parked this thing in the back of my garage. It sat and sat and sat.

Last year, a buddy came over during the winter and since the trails were open, we started messing with it. After a shot of stating fluid and coughing up some smoke, thing ran, and weirdly enough, the electrical system seemed fine.

I let him drive it all weekend, but it went through oil like CRAZY. Like, one tank of gas and the oil reservoir was fuggin
EMPTY!!!

We got 7" of snow here, so I dragged it out of the garage, sprayed some starting fluid down it's gullet to convince it to start, and same process; lot of smoke initially, but kept running better and better and better. However.... it seems.... lazy. If it's sitting still, and I floor it, it doesn't really do much of a burnout, it sort of lazily starts moving and eventually gets up to speed. It just doesn't seem snappy.

If the oil injection is running way too rich (crazy oil consumption) would that cause it to act... slow? Like... this thing should be a friggin chainsaw between my legs, not a moderately fast lawn mower.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
UPDATE, SOLVED THE ISSUES!!!!!

- The dumbass who worked on this sled last didn't have the throttle cable set correctly; at 100% lever the carbs were only open 80% or so. Fixed that.

- Pulled the carbs to access the oil injection pump. It was WAYYYYY out of spec. Instead of the mark on the arm lining up, the edge of the arm was lining up, it was pulling it way way way too much, hence my insane oil usage.

- Threw the a factory seat back on it. So much better.

Anyway, just went for a rip in the ditches, WOW. It's night and ****ing day, gentlemen. Pinned it for a few seconds on the road and hit 85 no problem, still accelerating. Thing running like a raped ape! Going to pull the plugs tomorrow to see what color they are, but yeah, wow, NOW IT SEEMS LIKE IT IS ACTING LIKE IT SHOULD. So geeked!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Okay, instead of just a ditch rip, the trails opened today so I took it for a 25 mile ride, and here is what I noticed:

1. Darting. OMG DARTING. I put 6" studboy shaper bars on this thing, because it has studs, but just... wow this thing darts so bad. I'm going to pull it into the garage and check the alignment, and do 1/4" toe out, to see if it helps. I will also see about installing some shims.

2. Once the sled is going, it rips pretty good, but off the line, it still just seems lazy. From a standstill, if I just floor it, it just sorta burbles at half throttle then over the next few seconds really starts to rip. This just doesn't seem normal. When I hit it, it should turn the track into a belt sander. I don't get it. The carbs have been rebuilt with fresh jets/gaskets/stuff, and once it's already ripping along pretty good, it DOES rip nicely, I had it 70-80mph and it was still accelerating, but lower speed acceleration was just kind of ****.

I have so many hours and time and money into this sled. Still super disappointed. :(

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Has the clutch been rebuilt or looked over ? Lazy sounds like clutching to me right now.

Yes, shaper bars will dart. My 04' 900 did that with them. Bergstrom Triple points were much better on it. Lots of choices to eliminate that issue. Woody's duallies too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)

Here's my first video on this sled, from the maintenance I did to it last week.

Shows oil injection, throttle cables, and converting a seat from an EFI model to work on a carb'd model.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I like your video, thank you, i really want to see you succeed with this project.

For the low end loss of power:

can you explain what a cv tech powerblock 80 clutch is?

a lot of stator issues with this generation of sleds, did you confirm stator is good?

did you try running with tss disabled?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Thanks! So when I was building this sled in 2015, I did most of the work in that video, was all stoked, trailered to some ice drags, and the thing would start but wouldn't move at all. Had a bunch of dudes look at it. My primary was frozen. Tried oiling it for a while, no dice. Went to suter's speed shop (Suters Speed Shop (.Net) Since 1983! MADISON WISCONSIN | ATVs Motorcycles, Snowmobiles Parts & Services) since I lived near them... they showed me hairline fractures on my primary clutch, and wouldn't service it. They suggested I get a CV Tech "Powerblock" Clutch instead, as it would out perform the original. Here is the website:

Idk how to confirm my stator is good... the lighting works great and it starts on the first pull. From some googling, it looks like there are low speed and high speed windings? Then I was reading that the ignition system changed right around 2000... and to be honest idk what this sled even is. Some parts say 99, some say 2000, so... it's probably a hodge podge of all sorts of crap.

I have unplugged the TSS... it hasn't been plugged in the entire time I've owned it. I recorded some more footage and will be posting a video shortly with a LOT of shots of the clutch, so stay tuned!

Also... this is a dumb question... but does this sled NOT have reeds? I can take my carbs off and see the sides of the pistons... so... super confused. I have scoured the parts catalogue for this sled as well and don't see reeds anywhere. ???

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
All the 98-2000 non power valved 600’s have reeds. I see reed cages and i believe reed pedals from your video. You should check them for broken pedals.

For the lazy takeoff.
Have you syncd and adjusted low speed on the carbs? with rear end up in the air and no rider (be careful!!) is it snappy or still sluggish?

Reactions: cash68

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thanks! I was digging around with parts diagrams on country cat and couldn't find them anywhere, so yeah, I feel like a dumbass.

Plan of attack is to prop up the back end and see what happens when I rev it, and after that, I'll pull the carbs again and double check everything including those reeds. The carbs have a bracket that makes them synced, and there is only one throttle cable, so I am pretty sure they have to be synced?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

Here is the back end up on a 4x4, revving out with the track touching nothing. Also some shots of the clutches working. Initial engagement is around 3500rpm.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I think your close.

I believe 3500 is way low and sled doesnt have the power to pull at that low rpm. I think your right, you need to be around 4500rpm engagement. I think you should peak around 8500rpm.

I have never heard of a powerbloc clutch, ive lurked on these forums for many years and never heard anyone mention them so getting forum support on your clutching (specifically the drive clutch) will be difficult. Maybe call powerbloc?? I noticed the spring in your secondary is not stock either, should be yellow i believe. If it were me, id put everything back to stock (cat drive clutch, cat stock weights, cat stock springs, cat stock helix, etc) but i understand you already have hard earned money invested.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts