Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 1999 zr 600 efi and it won't rev past 7,000 rpm's. So after a little research I found that there were a few issues with the stators that year.

I did test the stator with a ohm meter and the numbers came out like this, Green to black wire gave me a reading of .032 and the green to red wire gave me a reading of .472

From what I have read one coil seems to be in spec, but the other coil is just out of factory tolerances.

My question is do you think that the stator is far enough out of spec that in would effect the performance in this way or should I investigate another possible point of failure?

I should also let you know that I have removed the primary clutch to elimanate any possibility that it may be a clutching calibration issue.

Thank for all the help.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
Your stator is bad
You test the stator at the 3 wire plug with the white plastic end
It has like cloth insulation on them

I think they are green black and red ???.
I have a manual out in my garage for that sled with the actual readings.

NEVER, I mean NEVER run a engine without the clutch on it.

It's a good thing it is bad, because if it wasn't, your motor would have a few rods hanging out of it.

I have a rebuilt stator from Stator Corp with a 2 year warranty,
Ship me yours for a core and I will send you one for $190 shipped .
Mike
734 777 6200 cell

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike for the reply,

I normaly would never run a snowmobile with out the primary clutch on it, but I did'nt know how else to make sure it was not a clutching issue that was effecting my RPM problem.

I will give ya a call if we want to replace ithe stator or not, It is my wifes sled and we are looking at maybe buying her a newer model, So I'm not sure that she will want to put alot of time and energy into a sled we might be replacing, I will let you know.

One more thing, How hard is it to replace a stator anyways? It looks like it is there pretty deep, And is there a way to know for sure that it is the stator and not something else?

Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
515 Posts
According to my 93 t-cat manual these are the readings yours might be similar

Charge Coil (1)
X1 position, touch red lead to green wire and connect black lead to white wire in plug
resistance must be 470ohms +/- 20%
Charge Coil(2)
X100 position, touch red lead to green wire and connect black lead to white wire in plug
resistance must be 27.7ohms +/- 20%
X1 position, touch the 2 meter leads to each of the yellow leads in the connector from engine
resistance must be 0.21ohms +/- 20%

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks thundercat900,

It sounds like the T-Cat stator must be some what similar to my zr 600.
The zr did test pretty much inside of those tolerances, That is kinda why I'm alittle concerned that it may be something other than the stator giving me troubles.

Thanks for the input, If you have any more please feel free to vent.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts