Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, my 99 zr 500 carb engine is toast, opened it up and a melted pto side piston as well part of the crankcase there is gone!!

I guess I wont be rebuilding this engine.

What other engines will fit this chassis if I cant find another 99 500 to fit.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Any non-apv engines from the ZR2 chassis but you will need some of the electrical/fuel/clutch parts if you're changing engine sizes otherwise another 500 will be plug and play

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put a non-apv 600 into an '01 chassis with no issues, can't see why the opposite would be an issue. Obviously you need more than the engine if you're switching to a power-valve motor and want to retain them.

·
5,963 Posts
Honestly, Stay with the 500/600 if you can. they are good runners.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The seasons pretty much over, so I'd say first thing is take your time and get a great deal. Your best bet spend a few more bucks and pick up a smashed up zr 500/600/700 etc., something with tunnel or bulkhead problems, but still running. That way, if you're changing engine sizes you've got all the mounts, electrical, clutching, carbs, etc. that you need, and at that point, it's pretty much bolt in, they all share the same chassis. If you find I good enough deal, you can then sell off the remaining good parts, plus anything that is good from your 500 motor and you can pretty much get that new motor for free. It will take some time to sell off the parts though. That's the way I got my zr700

·
Registered
198 Posts
Google BK boat n sleds. They part anything Powersports. I know they have a 500 case. They are very reasonably priced on stuff. I believe there's a crank there too if needed. Look them up n get in touch with them. Tell them the catman referred you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.